ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#164755 06/10/07 07:22 PM
Cat Servant
Some time ago, in "Hiring Convicts," I asked if you would hire a released convict. The overwhelming answer was "are you nuts?!"

Indeed, one of our ECN members is having a 'spot of bother' regarding the authorities' dim view of his 70 'wacky tabaccy' plants. If he is convicted, he will lose his license, and be unable to work the trade.

Now I am looking at the latest issue of EC&M magazine. In "Inmates Turned Electricians," the magazine discusses the programs at a number of prisons that train inmates to work as electricians upon release. It appears that at least one prison system has it's instructional program comply with the classroom portion of the first half of a recognized apprenticeship program.

Opinions, they say, are like fingers .... most of us have a handful (or two) of them. I know I do - but what say you?

WOULD you hire / train / work alongside someone fresh from the joint?

E
My initial instinct is no way. Another issue I really need not deal with. With further thought and also knowing there are "success" stories of reformed convicts I think I would entertain the idea. This would be a case by case deal so I wouldn't give a blanket yes or no answer.

N
Completely depends on what the conviction was for. Would I hire a convicted rapist or armed robber? Absolutely not. A convicted pot grower? Sure, especially if I had a job scheduled that involved wiring up a lot of HID lighting...:)

L
LK Offline
Ok, I may be able to answer that, when I worked at a paper mill, they had a rough time hireing help, on the dry end, it was like working in a sauna all day, and on the dry end, dusty, dirty, and hot. As it turned out they hired help just released fron the Joint, they showed up on time, did their work, and never complained about much except the bad food on the lunch truck, I could leave my wallet sitting anywhere, come back and it would still be there, with all it's contents, If I needed a hand moving something heavy, no problem, they pitched in without asking, so my answer would be give them a chance. I would not expect them to work residential homes, service work, they may be put in a position there, if something went missing.

R
I agree with the above. It would depend on what they went to the can for. Everybody makes mistakes in life. I wouldn't work with anyone who was released after serving time for hard crimes (murder, etc) but people who have served time for minor drug charges and things like that don't deserve to spend the rest of their lives paying for it. They did their time and went through the justice or injustice system.
Their are many people who have commited minor crimes in their lives and never went to jail for them, especially drug ones, just look at who your big boss is.

J
I have a friend who will be incarcerated for a minimum of 8 years for attempted murder. The time he was "snapped" was probably a couple of hours. The years of service in a high stress, high responsibility position and my company running him into the ground didn't seem to count. The fact that he protected us with his military service in Vietnam and S. Korea didn't either. How I wish I could get him out and work alongside him. He is not your normal case but shows that you might find some pretty special people if you scratch the surface a little.
Joe

that's just it, the first time something comes up missing you have an automatic suspect !
for that matter, just being part of a crew could give someone else itchy fingers,

OTOH, I would hire a certain heiress who will be out of jail pretty soon ....I would probably be in compliance with the ADA as well.....:)

Tom
G
The inmate electricians who I dealt with in the state inspector job were usually drug dealers. The super was not thrilled with them (they were on the lazy side) but they did bend some pretty pipe.

Greg Fretwell
M
I have a good friend who spent a little leisure time in the slam in the late 1970's for a drug sale conviction. He came out and wanted to clean up his act and do electrical work. He did his apprentice stint, j-man time, and became one of my competetors, still in business, a bit fatter and much much smarter nowadays. wink

K
Reno - I would be intrested in seeing that artical. Could you scan it and email it? Thanks.

I am in the stuation of teaching inmates basic electrical theory. I have had many students convicted of different crimes but would treat each person on their own merrits.

Intresting to see US oppinoins comared to UK on this one.

der Großvater
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard