ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 463 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
I wonder what frequencies they plan on using and what the efficiency would be like?

There was a story a good many years ago about a guy who lived in the shadow of a powerful broadcast transmitter and had erected coils all over the house to pick up the R.F. to power lighting. I think it was Switzerland somewhere, or perhaps it was the old RTL A.M. transmitter (Radio Luxembourg at one time in the early 1980s used to boast of "One million, three hundred thousand watts of power!").

Possibly the way televisions were (are?) licensed in Britain.

Are. frown

G
where's that pic of the 4' fluorescent
tubes being lit by mere proximity to HV distribution towers when you need it.. and I daresay it works at more than 9'...

I really believe that is a hoax. Ny boat lift is virtually directly under a 250kv power line, actually in the FPL right of way and I haven't been able to even get a perceptible glow in an F40 tube. I tried everything I have heard to do it too. Long wire antennas, coils or whatever.
If you have a scheme I will try it tho.

Greg Fretwell
L
LK Offline
none of it is a hoax, it's just a bit over the edge to use "End of Plugs" ? as a headline. RF can easly light up a lamp, depending on the power level of the transmitter, Go to the MIT site, and you will see they were talking about low power transfer using frequency control, not a new concept, but they may of found a unique way to transmit it.

LK #164724 06/09/07 06:28 PM
Great,
Just what we need, more interference on an already messy spectrum. shocked

A
The efficiency is about forty percent so far.
Resonant frequencies everywhere is not the best of ideas IMO.

Y
Originally Posted by ghost307
Tesla originally developed the concept of wireless power many years ago.
Edison killed it for the same reason that someone will kill it again.

If there are no wires...how do you meter it and send bills??

Edison didn't kill it. J.P. Morgan did. Edison and Tesla had parted ways many years earlier. That's the story, anyway, the conspiracy theory. Tesla made a lot of claims that were unverified, and this is one of them.

J
If you think about it, we have transmitted power for decades. What's new is micro power devices that can rectify it and self power. Consider the solar powered calculator that wouldn't be around without LCDs and CMOS showing up to replace LEDs and TTL. Those transponders that you use to go through I-Pass or EZPass lanes are (probably) self powered field disturbance devices. It's the decimal point shift in power requirements from amps and milliamps to microamps or nanoamps that can make transmitting power practical.
Now before you all run out to my old 2 million watt TV transmitter with your magnet wire and ultra-fast recovery diodes, remember that the number is Effective Radiated Power. We only pushed 121 KW combined up the wave guide. The amount of that you could actually harvest would depend on that old, inconvenient,"varies inversely with the square of the distance" rule. Then, if you have to focus it into a narrow beam to get any use out of it, and have to stay in one place, you might as well put a duplex there.
Joe

E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by iwire
I did some more checking and found that the research was done at MIT. I went to MIT's own site and found their side of it. (~)exaggerated the potential a bit,

C'mon Bob, These are the same people who rig the 'solar car' race every year - for the last 20! They cruise the same frat car every year that looks like a cockroach, that has two 'barney' Lance Armstrong wanna-bees peddling away in, on old bike parts. (Time tested design - Phsuff - right?!?) Sure they only needed to peddle to get it started... Go up hill, or any other time solar wasnt doing it's magic.... Great science school, had two roommates who went there who were geek-tastic.... But its a school and culture with a tendency to over-blow the unfeasible.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
Mark at no point in this thread have I said if I think it is or is not feasible.

All I did was supply a link to the source of this research bypassing third and forth hand reports.

Each person can read it and make their own decision.

As far as MIT...well of course they are likely to blow their own horn...what institution does not?

That said, a lot of great science does come out of MIT.

Where this particular research leads remains to be seen.

Last edited by iwire; 06/10/07 05:08 AM.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
It may well be feasible, but I take to task the notion that....

magnetic fields interact weakly with living organisms and are unlikely to have any serious side effects.

Tell that to beekeepers near a mobile phone mast.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard