ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This might well be a ridiculously easy question, but please keep in mind I have essentially no idea what goes on inside an electric motor. My sparky handled the brain work; I ran cable and did very simple installations.

I have a residential-quality fan on a floor stand that can run 24 hours a day in the hot, humid weather (oh, yes, we have that in Maine). It hibernates in the winter. Back in use now, infrequently when you switch it on, the motor hums, but the fan blades don't turn. If you leave it alone, and let it keep humming (not something I'm comfortable with doing), eventually it starts operating normally.

What do you think is going on here, and what should be done (other than taking the fan out of service and recycling what parts I can)? sick

Thanks, all!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I have a fan on a floor stand. It is a plastic one I bought a couple of years ago. It has a three speed switch on the top of it. My wife used her gorilla strength last month and broke the switch. When I installed a new switch, I noticed this little universal motor had a small square capacitor. If your fan eventually gets to full speed, I think there is a bad capacitor in there (if there is one in there).

Brian Gibbons
M
Try oil on the bushings. These little motors don't develope much torque and the oil can get gummy over the winter. Many household oils are vegetable based and will gum up too so use a petroleum based oil

G
I've rescued more than one by putting solvent, e.g.switchcleaner or a general purpose machine cleaning solvent, in the bearings. I believe many are sintered bronze and as Mike says old lubricant gums up. Wash it out and re-oil with a good quality thin mineral oil. Works on old record player motors too!

Thank you, gentlemen! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard