ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
We always just called them 'muffins', but the term 'English Muffin', is now being used in Britain to differentiate from that other product which is rather like a large cupcake, that some twit has also called a muffin!

Similar to an English Muffin is a crumpet. Same recipe, a disc of yeast-batter leavened and cooked on a griddle, but the crumpet is more liquid and has to be poured into a ring to retain its shape till it's cooked. These are sold in England part-cooked for toasting.
They are a bit "chewy"- I like to fill all the holes in the surface with melting butter. Crumpet and muffin are also terms of endearment in English.

[Egg Mc] Muffin is what I'd describe as an overrisen 'bun' and like all the other dreary and disappointing breakfast faradiddle served by McDo's, is a travesty of a proper English breakfast, prepared by folks who are basically pie-warmers. They should stick to what they know, 'burgers fries and coffee.
Alan

Wood work but can't!
T
>>The question is are "english muffins" just muffins there? (as in Egg McMuffin)<<

Or for that matter is it a "wiener" in Frankfurt and a "frankfurter" in Wien?

Texas Ranger? Wolfgang? Anybody?

L
LarryC Offline OP
dug a huge pit in our garden, in the floor of our old Anderson

Anderson?

Larry, in WWII we were issued with heavy corrugated-iron "air raid shelters", which were sunk into the garden [ yard ]. After hostilities ceased most of them became garden tool-sheds. They were called 'Anderson Shelters" and were about as much use against 1000lb bombs as a chocolate coffee pot!
Ma stoutly refused to go in "that bloody 'ole" during air raids, preferring the comfort of a nice cup of tea instead.

Last edited by Alan Belson; 06/30/07 01:16 PM.

Wood work but can't!
L
LarryC Offline OP
Thank you.

What is an Arnie?

Has the lovely Mrs. B made you open up any more stone walls for additional doors?

G
It was pointed out to me the other day I do use a southern Md expression from time to time.
"slick calm' for those days in the boat when the water is like glass

Greg Fretwell
Larry, 'Arnie' is Arnold Schwartzenegger, Gov. of Ca., who just signed more anti-tobacco legislation. I tried to write the joke with 'letting the smoke out', but it just didn't seem to scan right.
Mrs B is busy with her gardening at this time of year. All potential holes in walls have now been plugged with new windows and doors, but you never know when an idea might erupt!

Wood work but can't!
P

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard