ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132580 02/03/07 03:39 PM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Hi all,

I have heard on the radio that one of my fellow Hungarians made a software which keeps track of the situation of the hard disk, and many other things like IC temperature, etc.
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

It is free, but of course you can upgrade for the full version which always runs and sends you info about the problems.

By all this I recommend for everyone the regular disk cleaning, defragment, and scan disk running, which is available on c:\properties, tools.

Tell me your experience.

I`d also have a question myself, what can I do if the defrag on my notebook is so slow, it lasts for hours... except removing everything to drive D, which I did.

Thanks.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#132581 02/06/07 10:32 PM
T
ok this is a bit extreme, but backup the slow defragging drive, reformat, and restore from backup. For the degree of risk, and moreso the inconvenience and cost in time, it might be more simple to just leave it to defrag overnight and see what happens.

#132582 02/06/07 10:35 PM
T
PS: another idea- I don't believe this is an issue with win nt versions, but it certainly was with the 9x generation if windows.. running apps that write to a temp file or write to the disk *at all* during a defrag can reset the defrag back to square 1. If you are still on win9x, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and kill off all processes except explorer and then defrag

#132583 02/07/07 02:52 AM
G
I really prefer running disk maintenance programs like that from the DOS prompt so you don't even have that bloated GUI thrashing around. Norton is good for that.

Greg Fretwell
#132584 02/19/07 06:17 AM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Yes, I know that with 9x. I have XP tablet ed. which would die in a short way if I`d try to turn off all except explorer LOL
I don`t recommend that to noone.
My last boss used to solve all "slowness" problems by ctrl+alt+del-ing and stopping all programs, which made 2 pcs die in a short period.

#132585 02/19/07 01:15 PM
G
My wife has never "shut down" a PC in her life. She always just turns it off. (against my advice) The W/98 boxes just seem to keep humming along. My DOS MP3 players go on and off from the switch as the normal operating mode.

As an AOL user I am no stranger to pulling the plug myself. Sometimes that is the only way to unhang them.

Greg Fretwell
C
I use Disk Cleaner Regularly. A great little program.

Disk Cleaner is a free open source tool to quickly and easily free disk space that is used by temporary files like those in the system temporary folder, the Internet Explorer Cache and Cookies folder, and the Recycle Bin. Disk Cleaner is absolutely free from adware and spyware.

You might be surprised by how much space the temporary files on your drive are taking up.

http://www.diskcleaner.nl/

G
Gloria Offline OP
Guys, I've deleted everything from my Windows/Installer folder and my C drive has 4GB more free place! I was amazed!

You can run the drive cleanup wizard to get rid of a lot of temporary files leftover from installing new programs and other activities.

Also, you can turn off the "System Restore" function of ME-XP to free up a good chunk of space.

J
Anyone using Vista yet. I have it and have been having several issues.
Adware and Spyware are not companies. How can the link provided above be trusted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard