ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
I know the whole debate about ground pin up / down has been thrashed out a million times and I don't want to re debate it, so it may be just me and some of the appliances I have bumped into. All of the appliances that I have used seen where the plug is somewhat bulky and has a "preferred orientation" have the ground pin at the bottom. Foe example my electric pressure washer has a integral GFCI at the end of the cord and it absolutely is designed to operate ground pin down. If any outdoor outlets were ground pin up the sprung cover would prevent you from using the washer at that outlet. My hair dryer is the same, as is a angled plug on my refrigerator. I also have a wall mounted battery charger that would not operate ground pin up. Has anyone noticed this, is there some industry standard that has developed in a pervasive manner regardless of the code's ambivalence. Anyone else notice the same thing? Am I on drugs?

E
Yes,
I have noticed the same thing: I have some old AT&T power supply cords with flat cordcaps that hang very neatly if the ground pin is down.
(And doesn't AT&T practice dictate de-facto standards; we do, after all, have "slate" conductor insulation, and not "gray")

E
AT&T/Western Electric's cords were originally designed with the ground pin oriented sideways, so that regardless of the ground pin orientation, the cord would simply exit to the side. I still have quite a few of them on the shelf and use them for this very reason.

Believe it or not, they allowed those cords to be called "light olive gray", along with cable jackets. It was just the cable pair color that was called "slate". This was to alleviate having to use two-letter abbreviations as much as possible.

I will say that I am starting to see this orientation on plugs from other manufacturers as well as "wall warts". All of our cell phone chargers are horizontally-designed. I have also noticed some GFI's on cords equipped with a short leader cord on them so that the GFI is more "in-line" with the cord. I think that's a fantastic idea.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
I
While I have noticed is that most heavy duty angle plugs seem oriented for ground down outlets; fridges , freezers and some window A/C units are oriented for ground up. Go figure
So, the debate rages on.

Last edited by IanR; 06/04/07 01:18 PM.
S
Originally Posted by IanR
...some window A/C units are oriented for ground up. Go figure

It is normally "up" to get to the window A/C, so my take is that these are also set up for a ground-pin-down receptacle configuration. When plugged into a ground-pin-down recept, the cord goes up the wall, towards the A/C.

A
"When plugged into a ground-pin-down recept, the cord goes up the wall, towards the A/C."

And then follows it out of the window as John Doe opens the sash to whistle at his girlfriend.

W
Originally Posted by Ann Brush
And then follows it out of the window as John Doe opens the sash to whistle at his girlfriend.

LMAO what?

Last edited by Wizzie Electric; 06/04/07 02:46 PM.

Thanks.
in Chicago, and most of her suburbs, the receptacles have always been mounted horizontally, well, at least as long as I have been at this.:|

, just never bothered to ask anyone, since I didn't think there was anyting weird about it

BUT,..AT&T had a huge plant in Cicero called Hawthorne ...co-incidence ?

Tom
B
Originally Posted by IanR
While I have noticed is that most heavy duty angle plugs seem oriented for ground down outlets; fridges , freezers and some window A/C units are oriented for ground up. Go figure
So, the debate rages on.

My fridge has a cord that exits the plug on the ground side, so it goes down when plugged into a ground-down receptacle. This works well if the receptacle is mounted partway up the wall (or over the adjacent countertop in my case), but wouldn't work for a ground-down receptacle close to the floor.

E
e57 Offline
Flat/90 plugs/cord caps come different ways, and often you can order them for both. An example would be for a washer and a gas dryer - they often come with one up, one down.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard