ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Sparkee Offline OP
Hi there

Firstly sorry for the description in the title but it was all I could fit in the box!
I am from Australia and have got certification in Vancouver awhile ago. I am still working in Australia but wondering if having the Canadian licence would help me get a job in the states as an Electrician? Is it considered the equivalent of the ticket in the States? I also have a ticket as an Instrument fitter in Australia.

I would like to work in California ...is it possible for me to sit an examination there travelling through?
thanks!

Cat Servant
Unlike almost every other country, and something we learned from the Swiss, almost all of our laws / regulations / licenses are determined by governmental bodies other than the US Government.

For electrical work, the matter is decided by each State .... and, in many cases, the States pass the responsibility down to the town or county. There are even places where not even as electrical contractor is required to have any license at all!

Canada is extremely similar to the USA, at least in terms of the hardware used. There are many differences in the specific codes- but nothing like the differences between Canada and the rest of the world.

If you belong to a trade organization or Union, it is very possible that they have some sort of arrangement with a similar group here.

Otherwise, when it comes to 'work' visas, the USA tends to vary it's rules to match where you are from. In your case, that means getting hired before you come here to work, getting the work visa while outside the USA, etc. The prospective employer will be expected to fill out mountains of paperwork on your behalf.

Most places will not let you take the local license exam absent work experience that they can verify, completion of an apprenticeship they recognize, etc.

"Instrument Fitter" sounds like something done by the members of the ISA - the Instrumentation Society of America. I suggest you look to them as a source of certification, etc.
If you can qualify for their certifications, it is very possible that willing employers can be found, and you will be able to take advantage of special visa rules, intended for bringing "Professionals" here on a temporary basis.

E
e57 Offline
While your experiance may count (probhably will, doesnt seem anyone is checking anyway... wink )

But if heading to California - to work LEGALLY - you need to arrange to sit for the "Certification test" in California. Here it is a reletively new... No thats not right... Its a nearly ten year old fiasco that has nearly no enforcement whatsoever created to benifit very few so it seems law that is either run by the corrupt, or ignorant! There I said it.... While technically illegal to work not having taken that stupid test, all but prevailing wage jobs are ignoring the law at this point. But if "travelling" you may want to take it as it will better you chances on the job hunt... Other States will have or not have their own criteria.

Some info and links to the application can be found on the link below.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU_FAQ.htm

Reno, if a "fashion model" is considered a "skilled profesional" enough for a H1B visa I think "Electrician" should qualify for that or any of the other great visas we have... Although I believe only one or two allow you to work legally that is... H1B and H2B he could apply for. FYI they filled the 60k+ slots for H1B in an afternoon for this year and turned away a few hundred thousand.... So chances are slim there But I know a few people who have gotten H2B's easily with a moderate wait as electricians before. Some info on that can be found below:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

(I think there is one more for students J-1 or something...)

Last edited by e57; 06/04/07 11:35 PM.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard