ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#164442 06/03/07 04:18 PM
mxslick Offline OP
Found another video, this one drives home the dangers of arc flash incidents.

LINK HERE

WARNING: Some of the images in this video are VERY graphic!!

Pictures from the accident site appear at around 55 seconds.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
R
Thank you for the link Tony, it certainly brings home then reality of the dangers associated with our trade.

BTW, FWIW, I spent 10 days of whirl pool therapy on my hands from a 480 volt blast, but that does not compare with Donnie's accident.

Roger

Last edited by Roger; 06/03/07 06:54 PM.
mxslick Offline OP
You're welcome, Roger.

Over the last 20 years I have been very fortunate and have had a few close calls, not only while working as an electrician but in my cinema service trade and doing work on my own property as well. I have taken some risks that I now look back on and realize how stupid (and lucky) I was.

Not everyone (including me at times) realizes just how dangerous electricity can be. So I hope that we all take a moment to think before we act, and to enforce shutdown, lockout and tagout no matter how inconvenient it may be.

Sorry to hear of your incident as well. Would you mind sharing how it happened?

R
Tony, I'll post back later today.

Roger

R
Tony, we were adding hardware to a 1600 amp Federal Pacific switchboard for a hospital renovation, I had just finished installing a 400 amp breaker and removed my gloves to take a break before tackling the next 250 amp breaker.

I was going to remove the hardware for (2) one-hundred amp breaker spaces to make room for the 250 amp hardware, so with out my gloves on I stuck a screw driver in the A phase 100 amp buss to see how I might have to guard the surrounding metal before I gloved back up. (extremely stupid move on my part)

Well, I found out that this buss was about to fall anyways and all it needed was my screw driver barely touching it. It fell into the B phase. I was lucky that the blast went at 90 degrees to my right instead of directly back at me. I ended up with mostly second (and some small third degree) burns and couldn't see anything but blurs for three days.

The next morning I was back at the hospital (not the same one) having the skin trimmed from my hands by a doctor with a pair of scissors.

I was lucky in that I did heal and have no permanent injuries.

Roger

Last edited by Roger; 06/04/07 06:55 PM.
Roger:
Just stumbled by this forum & thread. Never stopped by here before in 5 years! Sorry to hear about your incident; glad all is well.

I have a few arc flash videos that I show my students at Vo-Tech. Bussman and one I recently got from Sq D. I'm heading over to the above link now.

John

Last edited by HotLine1; 06/06/07 08:18 PM. Reason: sign

John
Touching video. The Bussman uses a manequin to show forces, and some good slow mo shots.
Hopefully, it gets the entry level guys to see what could happen!

John

John
R
Thank you John. That was back in 95.

Roger

mxslick Offline OP
Roger: Thank you for sharing the details, and I am glad to hear things turned out o.k. But why wasn't I surprised that it was Federal Pacific switchgear? Some of their commercial stuff seems almost as bad as the FPE resi stuff.

John: Thanks for your comments as well. I agree, I posted this to show everyone what could happen. Sadly, it doesn't take a lot of effort to find a lot of other examples of close calls (or worse.)

Never stopped by here before in 5 years!

That is something that concerns me. I am as guilty as anyone else, but if you look at the number of views on pretty much any of the safety threads, and compare that with any of the other topical threads, there is a big disparity. Guess safety discussions aren't as "popular" as some of our other topics.

I'm not intending that comment to act as if I'm any better than anyone else, but I do call 'em as I see 'em. And plead guilty of that same offense. smile

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

MX:
In addition to this forum section, I'm not a frequent visitor to a few others. As to having concerns for the safety of those in or thinking about entering our trade.

That said, in both of my 12 week courses at Vo-Tech, I show videos regarding how accidents happen, and the results of same. Some of the video content, as the link you posted is graphic, but...it gets the point accross.

My reason for not visiting each section on this forum is probably like a lot of other guys here, lack of time, not lack of interest.

Harried lives, lack of time....welcome to America.

Take care, stay safe

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard