ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LK Offline
Scott, has the best idea yet sky light, but I am making a engineering change on the window, and installing a chicken coop vent, and changing the sky light, to a sun catcher, a sky light on the course, may be dangerous.

Marc, can we have another of your everlasting stories, s'il tu plait?

Alan

Wood work but can't!
G
Okay; here's a movie title that made me laugh...

"THE NEVER-ENDING STORY - PART 2"

Ghost307
G
OK I managed to actually get a look at this and sneek in 18 holes of golf (I really needed to be able to see it like the customer would). wink
These do have skylights
I looked at the other "2 holers" to see what they were trying to accomplish and It will just be a fan with a light ... BUT they also have small ice machines at the others so that will be next. I am thinking they should probably drop a multiwire 20a in there at a bare minimum but a small panel is a better plan. They may be thinking about a single 20 for all of this. They have a bid to get the wire in the ground and wire it up for $6,000.
I think I am just going to back off and let them follow their plan but I still want to review the plan to see if they understand little things like voltage drop and the code issues.

Greg Fretwell
G
Sanity may prevail here. Once they really figured out how much it will cost to do it the wrong way it is starting to look like the right way (FPL setting a meter on the building) may end up being a lot cheaper.
I am amazed at the lengths people go to, avoiding getting a permit and doing things the right way.
They hit a fiber a couple days ago on another job so they are starting to see the dangers of digging near the road.

Greg Fretwell
G
Well FPL finally got around to returning the proposal. It turns out doing things the right way ends up being a whole lot cheaper than bootlegging in a feeder. The bid on the feeder was $4000. FPL wants $250 to provide 120v (probably from the street lights) and $750 to set a transformer and provide 240v. They are going for the 120v if FPL will actually do it.
The story is the engineer may nix the 120 option once it finally gets down to doing it, in spite of saying they would. It may help that they really only want 20-30a.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Around here most street lights are 120 V unless you are near the interstate crossings and the big HPS lights. They usually are 277/480 volt lights. As for digging up here you have to call an 800 tel. number or else it could cost you a big fine from the utility co. There was 1 person just this week trying to dig in new water services when he hit a high voltage underground feeder cable. The sparks were flying that day.

S
Originally Posted by harold endean

As for digging up here you have to call an 800 tel. number or else it could cost you a big fine from the utility co.

Utility companies in New Jersey have the legal authority to levy fines???! How in the world does that work? I thought that was a function reserved to the government; how in the heck did we get to such a corrupt place that private companies are levying fines?

I
Originally Posted by SolarPowered
Utility companies in New Jersey have the legal authority to levy fines???!

No, it is a civil fine but the utility could be the one that reports you.

The Act subjects violators of its provisions to civil penalties of not less than $1,000 and not more than $2,500 per violation per day. N.J.S.A. 48:2-88. In addition, the violator may be assessed the cost of any Board investigation, inspection or monitoring survey which leads to the establishment of a violation and for the reasonable costs of preparing and litigating the matter. N.J.S.A. 48:2-86(b)(2)

It's pretty much the same all over, if you don't simply call the free utility marking number and go ahead and dig up a utility you will be liable for all damages and the fines.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
OK, that's more-or-less how it should work. That's a huge difference from "a big fine from the utility co."

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard