ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
We don't necessarily need to jail the clown who did this, but we DO need to jail the head clown.

I've never seen a good electrician volunteer to do something wrong just for the heck of it, but I've seen a lot of competent folks do junk like this because they were afraid of being fired if they told the boss "NO".

I always liked the philosophy that the highest ranking guy in the chain is held completely responsible; if that means dye in the river, wire around a fuse, or stale candy in the vending machine.

It's too easy for the head clown to intimidate folks into doing something dangerous or stupid by threatening their job; especially if there is nothing that makes the boss ultimately responsible.

Ghost307
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
I
Ghost part of being a competent person is knowing when to and having the balls to say no.

I am by know means saying management does not share in the responsibility but the person that actually did the work is the most responsible party.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
I think the worker who rigged the fuse and also managment also should be held responsible.

I am not a electrician and have never claimed to be, but after getting out of the Navy (NUKE MECHANIC on subs) I spent seven years as a maintenance person in a small factory, We had two maintenance people and a supervisor and I had the most electrical experience so I did most of the electrical repairs and wireing. I followed the NEC code to the best of my abilities in all that I did and often was more conservative than required. I more than one occasion I was urged (more like threatened)by the plant manager to take shortcuts to get equipment / production running again. When I felt that what I was asked to do was illegal/unsafe I would advise him of such if he continued to pressure me I would ask him to sign a statement to the effect that he ordered me to do XYZ after being informed that that XYZ was a violation of NEC or a unsafe practice. ODDLY enough I never got a signed statement and was always allowed to do it my way smile

A
recent wood dust explosion in our area killed one, injured one and burned the building down.
Wood scrap piles burned for three days and still smolder.
Over 40 departments, 200 + men (& women) involved. They had to use tanker trucks and even tried air drops on the piles.
IOSHA report hasn't been filed yet but non-compliance with Article 500 equipment or wiring is possible.
Alternately Wood chippers produce dust and if a piece of wood has a nail there may be sparking.
Followed by .............BOOM
Alan--
Not in my jurisdiction. So I have no first hand knowledge.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
R
Alan,
Alternately Wood chippers produce dust and if a piece of wood has a nail there may be sparking.
Followed by .............BOOM

There must be more to this. Sawdust or chipper dust is not any where near fine enough to make an explosive atmosphere. You have to have a sanding type operation to get that type of dust. Also in general if you hold your arm out in front of you and can still see your hand, you do not have enough dust for an explosion.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard