ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
what's the difference?

Tom
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Type 1 commercial range hoods can take in grease.
Type 2 commercial range hoods cannot take in grease.
Both cover the entire top of the range, and are discharged directly to the exterior.
Residential range hoods aren't even required to be installed and do not usually cover the entire top of the range, and are not required to discharge outdoors (but they cannot discharge anywhere else except into your face).

Earl
Cat Servant
As promised, I ran around town looking at some commercial range hoods, and took a few pics. Much to my astonishment, I encountered a few that actually appear to comply with the NEC!

This first one ... looks like I got there right after the cleaning guy ... has EMT to Appleton vapor-tights. In case you were wondering, the CFL's seem to work really well in this application:

[Linked Image]

Another restaurant also had EMT to the hood lights, with an extension to serve a stove-side receptacle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finally, her is a better view of the hood at that Chinese place:

[Linked Image]

Much to my surprise, the last hood looks to be in compliance. I was careful not to tell the owners that; I think they consider code compliance to be a mark of shame, and they would surely change it if they knew! laugh

E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by iwire
If the hood is truly listed as a 'commecial hood' it is likley a violation to be installed in a dwelling unit.

Just as you can not install a commercial range in a dwelling unit.

You can put a commercial range in a dwelling - it needs to be modified somewhat though. I believe you need to swap regulators and orifices. Or at least that is what they did before Wolf/SubZero made those pricey commercial look-a-like units. Then I think Wolf caught on and started making them that way. I have also seen one done that way recently that made it through all kinds of inspections to make sure it was converted. Only so much gas flow, etc.

Back on hoods.... You can custom build (as many commercial units are) any hood you like for a single family dwelling. With any appearance (commecial looking/rated if you like) or any acceptable CFM, and not have to follow the NEC for "Commercial Hoods" until the building is somehow re-zoned commercial. (By the way the NEC wrote it.) Otherwise it is just a "custom hood", and only need be listed if the AHJ wants it to be. Or at least that has been my experiance on it...

Did a bunch of reserch about this a few years back. (I wish I still had it, all I can find is the letter I wrote about it.) And from what I gathered that single family had relitively few restrictions... Multi-family had a few more in terms of listing requirements, and commecial had a rather wide range of requirement in all kinds of building codes.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
Originally Posted by e57
Originally Posted by iwire
If the hood is truly listed as a 'commecial hood' it is likley a violation to be installed in a dwelling unit.

Just as you can not install a commercial range in a dwelling unit.

You can put a commercial range in a dwelling - it needs to be modified somewhat though. I believe you need to swap regulators and orifices.

Mark it is still a listing violtion to use commercial ranges in a dwelling unit.

The issue is not the gas flow but the fact that commercial ranges are not made to be installed into combustible construction. (Wood cabinets etc)

Perhaps some models have a duel listing but that is just a guess.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
what I was wondering is why the doors in a house won't slam shut when these big hoods are turned on.
I always thought MUA was needed to prevent that from happening ...or you have air coming in thru every open window and leak

Tom
I
Originally Posted by togol
what I was wondering is why the doors in a house won't slam shut when these big hoods are turned on.

Because exterior home doors swing in and commercial doors swing out. cool

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
yes, thats right ..but there would still be a neg. pressure..
those hoods are more problems then they are worth...IMHO

Tom
I
Originally Posted by togol
..but there would still be a neg. pressure..

Without a doubt and combine that with any fuel burning vented appliances (furnace, boilers, fireplaces) and you can have a real issue.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
The typical old Florida house might whistle a bit but I doubt you would really generate any real vacuum. I have 2 big "whole house" fans that exhaust into the attic. Occasionally my kid would turn them on without opening any windows. You would think it would make your ears pop but it just demonstrated how leaky crank out "awning" windows really are. I can see it on my barometer tho. Sometimes the storm warning will go off from the rapid pressure drop.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard