ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Squintz Offline OP
My cable company(Comcast) keeps laying their cable along the edge of my townhomes yard and I keep cutting it with my edger. I have told them many times to lay it deeper. I am wondering if there is something in the code book that says it should or must me at a certain depth. I did a quick browse through my 2005 book but nothing stands out to me.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Even if it was code, they wouldn't care...

Especially contractors...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
I have been to townhouses were the strata has said please do not bury the cable as it has been treated for termites and we are not allowed to disturb it.

G
One of our infamous local 'lowball' Contractors used to run UF to the post light in the yard on top of grade...then lay sod over the wire.

I guess they didn't want to get their shovel all dirty.

Ghost307
H
No, nothing in the Code that covers this. I also understand your situation. It's tough to get the cable below the depth of your lawn edger when that's the same tool they use to create a slit to stomp the cable into.

Only way to get this right is to do it yourself. I would suggest some 1-1/2" PVC buried 18" deep. Then have them pull a new drop through it.

-Hal

Doesn't telephone cable have to be buried at least 18"?

I
ITO Offline
1-1/2" for (1) RG6? You must be a data contractor.

Last edited by ITO; 05/23/07 08:33 AM.

101° Rx = + /_\
G
I like Hal's idea.

Install some PVC with a pull string in it. Then tell the lazy bums when they get there to just tie their cable to the string and pull on the other end.

They'll like something that reduces their work to almost nothing...and you'll get the cable where you wanted it.

BTW, when I had my satellite TV installed, I pre-wired my desired route with string. The installers wanted to take their own route and drill holes in my house, but they were DELIGHTED when they found out that their entire wiring job was reduced to tying a few knots and getting done early.

Ghost307
G
When I replaced my driveway I put 6 sleeves under it (2 water, 3 line voltage and a 2" for LV, phone, cable or whatever. One thing I did to help find them in 20 years is to cut a small triangle wedge of wood that points in line with the sleeve on both ends and nailed inside the form. It took a few minutes on my table saw to get them cut right. Now I have a notch in the edge of the concrete at each entrance and exit. As long as your sleeves don't cross you just count them down from the end.

Greg Fretwell
D
Originally Posted by noderaser
Doesn't telephone cable have to be buried at least 18"?

Nope CATV, POCO's, and Telco's don't have to play NEC games and rules until they hit the dmarc.

Link Copied to Clipboard