ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
I have a customer that wants an exhaust fan mounted directly above the shower stall. I can't find any codes that forbid this. This is a remodel in a small bath and there really isn't anywhere else to go with it.
Any thoughts welcome here.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
There are several exhaust fans that are listed for use in shower stalls. The ones I've seen have a label inside the rough housing that will says-"Suitable for use in a shower or over a tub when installed on a GFCI protected circuit" or words to that effect. I know that Broan and Nutone make one for sure.

George Little
Tom Offline
The code in question would be 110.3(B)

You would need to use a product listed for this location.

The following is excerpted from UL's White Book section on Fans, Electric (GPWV)

"Ceiling-insert fans, wall-insert fans, and ceiling-insert fan/light combinations intended to be mounted over bathtubs, showers, or within the zone above the bathtub and shower area as defined by Article 410 of the NEC, are marked "Acceptable for use over a bathtub or shower when installed in a GFCI protected branch circuit." These products are investigated to determine the effects of moisture (dampness or wetting), such as shower spray."

You can find the entire text of (GPWV) at
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?&name=GPWV.GuideInfo&ccnshorttitle=Fans,+Electric&objid=1074009331&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073987360&sequence=1

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
H
We use a lot of Panasonic fans over the shower and tub on a GFCI protected circuit. The smaller fans are rated at 0.3 sones. Extremely quiet.

Link Copied to Clipboard