ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16394 11/11/02 02:33 AM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
I used to use an old a.m. transistor radio to find noisy breaks in ceiling heat cable. Just wondering what everybody else does to find the breaks and make repairs.

S
How do you do that?

A buddy of mine (who was crashing at my place a long time ago) and is a computer nut once used my pocket AM radio (while I was out at work) to trace a break in the phone wire tacked to the wall.

I don't know how he found the broken wire. He was a bit schizo (in the true sense of the word) so I never got him to focus on it long enough for him to tell me....

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-11-2002).]

E
Elzappr Offline OP
No big deal, just turn up the T-stat and move the transister radio (tuned between stations so all you get is noise) around the ceiling area to locate the spot that makes the most electrical noise..there's usually a carbon trail in the break for some leakage to occur.. enough arcing and sparking to zero in on the bad spot. Of course, this is all done after just scoping things out for home owner or renter swag hook installations, or discolored areas of the ceiling, etc.

D
Hi guys,

Haven't visited or posted here in a while. but this is exactly what I needed.

Does anyone here who works on ceiling cable heat have a source for the cable? My local suppliers either can't seem to find any, or don't care to.

By the way, I always used a Tic-Tracer to locate breaks. Energize one side of the cable, and follow 'til the tic stops. Then follow it on the other leg 'til it stops. There's your break. Not really that simple in reality, only in direction [Linked Image]

W
I always used to use a neon transformer.
it would cause an immediate arc across the break in the wire. I never had any problems finding a break. Use a crimp barrel to splice it, then use some of that accoustic spray in a can to cover it up. I'm not sure if that is considered an accessible connection or not.

Link Copied to Clipboard