ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#163782 05/16/07 09:12 PM
U
Up2code Offline OP
First Post, so bear with me. Workin on residential project with basement window/ fire escape ladder. Is a switched lighting outlet required by ladder?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
A fire escape is for exit only. No switch would be required unless it can be used as an regular entry/exit Robert

Something sounds.....funny? Basement window? Fire Escape Ladder??? Did I miss something?

John

John
L
Basement window? Fire Escape Ladder???

Obviously someone is reusing those empty ICBM missile silos for low profile community housing.

U
Up2code Offline OP
It actually is window in basement office, that will have fire escape ladder leading up to grade level. No other windows or exterior doors in residential basement. H/O asked if it was code to put light by ladder. Just making sure I dont have to.

G
I think that everyone has been responding to the 'switch' part of the question.

If it is a means of egress, you'll need to provide illumination depending on however the AHJ interprets NFPA 101.

Here in the Chicago area, we need to provide illumination for the egress path out to "the Public Way".

Ghost307
OK, it's an office building! This is the basic 'Jersey Way'...
Comm bldg, means of egress, you need normal illumination. Emergency egress...depending on the Fire Official, or the Building Official...you may need 'emergency lighting' (Battery back-up) in addition to normal illumination.

Use something not in any 'code book'...common sense...ask yourself, and/or the owner if YOU had to use the exit at night...could you see??

All kidding aside, ask your local Building or Fire Inspector, but, I really doubt that they would 'fail' you IF you put it in!

John

John
E
The IBC building code requires illumination for the exit discharge, but not for emergency rescue openings. Your exit doors will require lighting with emergency power backup within 10 seconds. (excludes HID lighting without quick strike features) Any windows used for rescue or other openings (such as Bilco basement doors) do not require lighting.

Earl
Earl:
I agree with your comments above, but I don't see anything referencing 'rescue'.
He said "resi" first, then "office", and reading it again...'office in basement...HO asked if it's code'. My bad, I only saw 'office' Based on that, resi, basement window, NOT sleeping room, then it's an 'emergency escape'; nothing required by code.

John

John
E
In the International Residential Code Section 310 is titled Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings. It is a building code term for the components being discussed.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard