ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#163785 05/16/07 09:42 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The firm I work for performs a variety of testing services. This picture is a DC volt meter full scale reading -3.0 to +3.0. Typical battery readings are 2.15-2.35 (float to equalize). The user has to be fast and familiar with the scale to read the numbers beyond the decimal point.

Now a days with digital meters apprentices often give us readings into the 1000s of a volt, which is really not necessary. We have to tell them just because you can obtain some data it is not always necessary.

- BGaquin (Brian)

[Linked Image]

G
I agree; sometimes extreme accuracy is useless.
When I was taking science class in High School, we were working problems on a reflecting telescope.
One of the kids decided that his answer had to involve subtracting the mirror's 12" focal length from the distance to the object that was being observed.
Unfortunatly for him, it was the SUN!
There's something very silly about subtracting 12" from 93 million miles in the name of accuracy.

Ghost307
B
But as the folks at NASA will tell you just make sure you both are measuring in Meteric or the US Standard.

G
Picky...picky...picky

Ya run into ONE planet and nobody will ever let you live it down...

Ghost307
W
At least they FOUND the planet!... :-)

B

The meter looks like it has a narrow mirror below the scale graduations. What is that for?

L
The meter looks like it has a narrow mirror below the scale graduations. What is that for?

When the needle image in the mirror is at its narrowest, you know you are perpendicular to the needle and therefore you have no parallax error.

If you look at the needle at a slant, the image location on the scale is either above or below the actual reading. That is called parallax. Many high resolution gauges and meters have the mirrored scales and the thin needle like pointers.

Link Copied to Clipboard