ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163683 05/14/07 05:42 PM
Niko Offline OP
Hi Folks,
Do you know if a OC (occupancy sensor) can be in series with a dimmer.
Here is what i am proposing to do:
Install two lowvoltage recessed cans above a indoor jacuzzi tub, have a dimmer control them and to comply with title 24, have the OC control the dimmer.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks for your input

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

J
As long as the OS is before the dimmer, no problem.

S
A guess:

If the occupancy sensor is rated for a particuliar voltage, then it will not be operating at it's rated voltage and therefore in violation of 110.3 (B).

E
e57 Offline
I particularly like to use Meastro dimmers for this! They make a neat effect as they fade up to the pre-set if left on. (only using the VC to control it) With a few dimmers you can kind of make a 'scene' out of it when operating the "Vacancy Sensor", (Not 'occupancy sensor'!) and all the dimmers come up to preset levels.

Shockme, VC uses NC contacts, the dimmer gets the same voltage, you dont or should not dimm the VC.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
e57 Offline
I think I want to dub that the "Poor-mans Grafik Eye"....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
Should I mention that you should check also to see if your Code allows lights above the tub before you get too far along?

I know that Chicago is dead set against it.

Ghost307
Z
I don't see any problem with this approach. As long as the sensor is BEFORE the dimmer, all components are getting proper operating voltage.

BTW, I did not know that about Chicago Ghost. Do they also not allow sealed-trim can lights above showers?

G
Depends if its the type of PIR occupancy sensor which has its own neutral, or the type which is in series with the line and relies on that to power it. The former will work; the latter not.

G
The wording in the Code is similar to NEC for pendant lights, but there's a part that prohibits many of the light installations of this variety by a somewhat left-handed means. It limits the mounting height to no lower than a minimum of 7 ft 6 in. above the maximum water level. Even then they require a ground-fault circuit interrupter for it.

You can use recessed fixtures with a glass or plastic lens and nonmetallic or electrically isolated metal trim, suitable for use in damp locations or surface-mounted fixtures with a glass or plastic globe and a nonmetallic body or a metallic body isolated from contact if the fixtures are suitable for use in damp locations lower than the 7'-6 above the maximum water level if you provide a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

To paraphrase the Chicago Code; "sure it's okay...just jump through this moving hoop while whistling Dixie and juggling these oranges".

They're very accomodating here.

Ghost307
Niko Offline OP
Thanks for all of your replies.

Mark, what is the difference between OS (occupancy sensor) and VS (vacancy Sensor)

Thanks

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard