ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#163533 05/09/07 10:36 PM
T
triple Offline OP
What is the definition of "electric discharge lighting"?

an arc tube surrounded by a glass envelope....??

what did I win?

Tom
F
togol you are close there.

the electric discarge lighting it pretty wide area to cover but most common used is the neon lighting , flourscent lightbulb, HID aka HPS, MH , MV, LPS and arc lights

and most electric discharge lighting is useally regulated by ballast both electronic and mangatinic but some just used plain restitors on DC system

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

And with arc lights, as frenchelectrician mentioned, you may include a very common one, the xenon short-arc lamp as used in cinema projectors world-wide. smile

Some examples HERE

Stupid should be painful.
Broom Pusher and
In addition to Tom, Marc and Tony's replies, how about these descriptions:

Discharge Lighting...

Lighting from Lamps which do not use Resistance Elements (AKA Fillaments) to DIRECTLY produce Light output, via emissions from the filament only - as with Incandescent Lamps
(Incandescents are mostly a heat / Infrared Light Generator, with White Light being a "Byproduct").

Or:

Lighting produced via a Plasma contained within an arc tube, with Light output produced from Photons emitted from inert materials in the arc tube, due to a controlled level of current knocking the Photons loose from the inert materials, while the current flows from one Cathode, through the arc tube, and collects in the other Cathode.

Or:

Lighting from Lamps having "Negative Resistance" Characteristics, as opposed to Lamps with a "Linear Resistance" Characteristic - as would be found in Resistance (Filimant) type Lamps - AKA Incandescent Lamps.

Or: (last one)

Lamps which require the Current to be "Ballasted" (automatically regulated) by an external or separate device, in order to operate correctly (and not self destruct instantly); as opposed to Filament Lamps, which do not normally require the Current to be "Ballasted" - due to the Linear Resistance of the Filament.

I have more, but these are boring enough! wink

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
I like this one...

." Lighting produced via a Plasma contained within an arc tube, with Light output produced from Photons emitted from inert materials in the arc tube, due to a controlled level of current knocking the Photons loose from the inert materials, while the current flows from one Cathode, through the arc tube, and collects in the other Cathode."

as it contains the most authentic electrical gibberish LOL

Tom

ah nuts
so I left out a few minor details

whats the big deal..:))

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard