ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1656 05/26/01 12:30 AM
H
Hal Offline
If this facility has the pre-wired service building in the store check to see if when any part of the energy management system brings on a contactor for lighting, heat, etc. that a circuit is not connected to a grounded conductor in the terminal ducts where the circuits were terminated.

#1657 05/27/01 11:51 AM
N
Hello From Colorado!!!!!
You guys are never going to believe what I finally found!
We got a call from the vet saying that they lost another one of their monitors. When I got there I went to the event recorder and there was a very sharp spike at the exact moment of the monitor going out.
I went to the daily log and saw that at the same time the delivery man for the feed store showed up about 20 min. before.
I went to where all the feed bins were and started moving things around and found an access in the floor to a storage room that no one knew was there. Opening the hatch I immediately saw a 4&11 J-box with no cover and NO WIRE NUTS!!!!
A small amount of feed was on the ledge next to the box and mouse sign everywhere. I got in a little closer to the box and could see a small arc mark on the box.
Looks like all my problems have been mice crossing the box to get to the fallen feed and making the IG and hot wire touch the side of the box for a split sec, but not enough to trip the breaker.
All my problems over an electrician(supposed) that didn't finish putting a box together!!!!!!!!! Don't that beat all.

JON

Jon Niemeyer
#1658 05/28/01 03:27 AM
A
Wow,that is one for the books, glad to hear you located the problem.....good detective work.

#1659 05/28/01 06:50 AM
S
All my problems over an electrician(supposed) that didn't finish putting a box together!!!!!!!!! Don't that beat all.

or the vet not controlling his mice....

[Linked Image]

congrats nj ! you have perservered!

#1660 05/28/01 09:05 AM
Broom Pusher and
What an interesting thread - with the last-case scenario being the result!!

New tech term for computer hardware faults - instead of "Bugs" [came from the moth that landed on the vacuum tube circuits of the ENIAC, causing a short], we now have "Rodents" !!!

Wow, what a mind-melt that one must have been!
This one's going into my "Check For Rodents, Too" file!! Just showing that problems can be nearly infinite as far as what to look for, and when they are infinite, it's probably something hidden and the least technical in nature!!

Once again, great thread!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#1661 05/28/01 11:22 AM
G
Hat twisting nervously in hands, head held low, feet shuffling in the dust.....

I was way off base with my post and just flat wrong.
Does this mean I lose my posting license that I worked so hard for????

Great thread Jon, thanks for sharing it with us. These experience's are more valuable than many, many hours in the classroom. And we get to share them for free via this forum. Thanks to all who post.....I'm learning alot.

GJ

#1662 05/28/01 11:53 AM
Broom Pusher and
GJ,

I see no problem with your opinions, that's what we need to do is throw a bunch of ideas into the thread.

Your license is not endanger of being revoked by posting an opinion here!! Licenses become revoked when the Webster feels that too much BS is passed on as reality.
[P.S. - Bill, love that term "Webster"!! May I use it more often?? I'll pay royalties [Linked Image]].

I know that you were joking somewhat in your message, just want to make this point more apparent than the one under my hat, just in case someone might feel this is the way things work around here! [AKA 1 incorrect message and your officially kicked off the board! - man I would have been ace'd the first day!! with redundant 86'ing to follow!!].

There are some boards where a level of Ultra-Electro God is required for posting - less the flames overfloweth!!

Not here! We'll take minimum Electro-Wizard entry level and allow upto 3 mistakes in posts before you will be hunted down and tortured! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott SET - The Wannabe Eel-lektrikal injunear...

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#1663 09/02/01 01:53 PM
B
Originally posted by Alan McNeil:
check to see if the circuit is on a shared neutral, sounds like it could be an intermittent neutral connection, causing the monitors to be in series on 208 volts. (intermittently)

At first I was thinking Harmonics on the shared neutral, but the more i think about it it sounds like an open newtral. Anyways not a bad spot to chek first.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard