ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
32VAC Offline OP

From correspondents in Harare
May 09, 2007 06:32pm
Article from: Reuters

ZIMBABWE'S Government announced 20-hour daily electricity cuts for households across the country today as supplies are shifted to irrigate the crucial winter wheat crop amid persistent food shortages.

The southern African country has already been experiencing frequent power cuts due to the declining capacity of its aging power plants which have seen very little new investment as the country battles severe foreign currency shortages.

Mines and factories have also been hit hard by regular power outages, which have caused a decline in production and contributed to an economic crisis and escalating political tensions over President Robert Mugabe's 27-year rule.

Up to $US2 billion ($2.4 billion) is required to install new equipment and expand production at the country's two main power plants in Hwange and Kariba to meet increased industrial and domestic demand, officials say.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21701156-1702,00.html

Cat Servant
I'm not surprised. While this is not a 'political' forum, there is no denying the parallels between current Zimbabwe, and other, similar places that also ended up with .... power rationing.

In most of the other examples, the 'grid' was never adequate. Yet,the complete 'organized anarchy' there has resulted in the utter destruction of everything necessary for prosperity.

Revolutions tend to have revolting results.

32VAC Offline OP
Places like Zimbabwe would be ideal canidates for alternative energy technology to be set up & gain a strong foothold in the country, particuarly in the remote/bush areas.

Getting the technology into & then training the people to install & maintain the equipment would be a very interesting task indeed in such a large area that seems to be spread across a vast area without much modern infrastructure.

While a problem nearly everywhere, I'm sure that money is espeically a problem there.

T
And initial investment cost ist still the most important issue with most renewable energy sources.

Cat Servant
You simply can't have an infrastructure where government sponsored armed gangs go around trashing stuff.

There's no point pouring money into an obscenely corrupt situation.

You can't expect any industry to survive where the local political philosophy is based upon the tenet thats that private property, profit, and the use of natural resources is wrong.

That country is far richer, in terms of natural resources, than almost any other. Everyone living there ought to be a millionaire- several times over. Much of the necessary infrastructure did, in fact, exist at one time.

Alternative energy? This is a place that STILL murders folks accused of "witchcraft!"

H
Reminds me of a joke we used to tell when I lived down south...

"What did they use in Zimbabwe before they had candles ?"

P
Much of the necessary infrastructure did, in fact, exist at one time.

As has happened in some other African countries which were formerly British, French, Dutch etc. colonies. Without getting too political, while I'll admit that British rule was not always ideal, one can't deny that it did bring much investment in the infrastructure of roads, power, telephones, and so on.

H
"... Electricity!"

What a pity there's no oil there....

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard