ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
The NEC requires a disconnecting means within sight of a motor and also on the supply side and within sight of the motors controller.

The NEC never requires that fuses, even when required by the equipment be within sight of the equipment.

But hey what do I know.....I am just a maintenance guy. wink

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
ITO Offline
lol...present company excluded.

101° Rx = + /_\
Cat Servant
You're not supposed to be sure what a 'thing' is. When one wishes to be all inclusive, one will use a general term.

We're talking disconnects. In a broader sense, this discussion can apply to other devices used to shut off power ... such as valves. Safety interlocks. Blocks & clamps (for spring loads). Etc.

The issue does not limit itself to motors. Or compressors. Or heater elements. Or radio transmitters. Or ... well, you get the point.

Whatever needs stopping, I want the means for stopping it to be where I am at the time ... not three floors up, down the hall, in the third room to the left. The effect of this is to make multiple disconnects a sensible idea.

Besides the natural temptation to do as little as possible, there is the inevitable presence of Mr. Murphy on every job site. The more complex the application, the more chances there are for Murphy to make his mischief.

I
ITO Offline
I few years ago, my service man was doing some work on a high rise when the maintenance man came running in very distraught and needing help. They had somehow burned up the bus duct riser going through the building. The problem started out as a “bad breaker” for the chiller on the roof, no matter how many times they reset it or adjusted the trip, the damn thing just would not hold for more than a day. It never occurred to the maintenance man that maybe the chiller might be the problem.

Resetting the breaker over and over for who knows how long, the bus just melted and was ruined which tripped the building main, then the emergency generator had kicked on, only the exhaust for the generator had not been very well placed and the building OAU was sucking the fumes in and people started to get sick. Here is where it really got bad; the building was mostly occupied by layers. The building went into receivership over this incident, because they had a booger eating idiot for a maintenance man.

Sure not all maintenance men are booger eating idiots, but you never know who will work on the equipment later. Sometimes, expensive fuses make people stop and think…sometimes, at least you hope they do.

101° Rx = + /_\
I
ITO Offline
My apologies, I thought we were discussing utilization equipment.

101° Rx = + /_\
I
Originally Posted by ITO
lol...present company excluded.

laugh

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard