ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
It appears in the picture that there is some sort of gearbox that might speed the RPMs up to the generator. It's a pretty nice-looking and quality-built unit, but I can't imagine that it would be very efficient to operate.

So, is it safe to assume that the large connector can handle an 80 amp/ 230 volt load? That is pretty impressive when you think about it and it sure could come in handy in an emergency.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Sometimes you get involved in jobs you wish you'd never seen.....

I have that feeling most days of the working week. laugh

P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by EV607797
It appears in the picture that there is some sort of gearbox that might speed the RPMs up to the generator.

Yes, it gears up from 430 r.p.m. to the 3000 r.p.m. needed to obtain 50Hz from a 2-pole generator.

So, is it safe to assume that the large connector can handle an 80 amp/ 230 volt load?

Yes, the big blue connector is a 125A IEC309/BS4343 type, 2-pole plus earth. These are the standard industrial connectors here these days. The smaller connector on the right is the 16A version, like these.

The pin configuration and locating lug position determine the voltage, 1ph/3ph, etc. The higher-rated connectors have the same general lug/pin positions as the 16A versions but are just physically larger.

The connectors are also color-coded for the highest voltage present (phase-to-phase or phase-to-neutral/ground).

Paul. This ATN series mecc alte alternator is specifically built by the OEM as a PTO tractor generator and is not something cobbled together by a backstreet shop. As far as my translation can ascertain, there should be electronic voltage control of +/- 1% of unloaded voltage on board, capable of holding the voltage steady with from -5 to +30% of nominal rated PTO speed. Frequency will be up and down though I suppose. On checking, I found that mecc alte also built my 6kva 3-phase workshop alternator, which has run as sweet as a nut for over 2 years.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard