ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
togol #163543 05/10/07 01:28 AM
Yes, the pilots usually waited out the storm in the plane, fortunately the monsoon storms were usually short-lived, about a half hour max. So the pilot would either wait at the EOR marshall area, with the engines (and cockpit A/C smile ) running, or go directly back to the flightline parking spot and shut down and get out quickly.

On rare occassions, if the plane(s) had enough fuel, they would hold in the air and fly around 'till the storm passed.

After I got certified for the APU (Auxillary Power Unit, a small turbine engine in the rear of the aircraft which provides power, hydraulic pressure and bleed air for engine starting) operation, I discovered a few neat things to do while waiting out the rain. smile

For example, the aircraft's radio can tune in some of the VHF local T.V. channels. It was quite surreal to be sitting in a military fighter, on a dark flightline, while listening to Johnny Carson. smile

Another fun thing to do was open the speed brakes (on the A-10, about the size of a sheet of plywood) and waggle the stick, thus whacking the poor unsuspecting fool standing under the wings. smile

Stupid should be painful.
mxslick #163578 05/11/07 02:18 AM
E
e57 Offline
A-10's and Johnny Carson - this must have been some time ago?

e57 #163580 05/11/07 02:42 AM
E
e57 Offline
I used to pratically live in a conex box on the Camp Pen MCAS runway for over a year. (In 92-93) '92 Camp Pen flooded and filled all of the runway lighting full of river silt, so everything was generators and field gear for several years as they were redone. My job was keeping all the temp stuff operational while rehabbing the perminant gear. Most of my fun was helo's* (Ch-53's, 46's and cobras) But they still had some A-10's on the way out then. Never been a victem of "Flap-Slap" but have witnessed it.

*Had a 53 land next to my van while the taxiways were to be clear for me to re-work some lights at night. Tore the drivers door right off my van due to rotor-wash. Other fun for them was to knock over the porta-john next to my lighting shack - once with a buddy of mine in it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
e57 #163588 05/11/07 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by e57
A-10's and Johnny Carson - this must have been some time ago?

Yep, I was stationed in Tucson from early '82 to about late '84.

Pretty sure Carson was the late night guy then...but lately my memory on the small stuff has started to go... smile Yesterday I climbed my stairs twice before work because I couldn't remember if I'd locked the front door!

Stupid should be painful.
mxslick #163594 05/11/07 06:58 PM
togol Offline OP
, I was a hull mechanic on M-60 tanks, and would hear those warthogs unleash that gun whenever I was supporting range exercises.....AWESOME

Tom
togol #163599 05/12/07 02:46 AM
E
e57 Offline
Young guy here, used to use derilict M-60's for .50 Cal. + MK-19 practice. I too will also do a bit of the up and down the stair, and need to have my keys attactched to me.

Mark Heller
e57 #163601 05/12/07 04:11 AM
togol Offline OP
Keys ?
I remember once, I was going

Tom
togol #163602 05/12/07 05:15 AM
Broom Pusher and
Tom (togol),

Thank goodness you + your family are OK!
Those Tornados are frikken insane!!! eek

Out here in Southern California, we get "Mini Mesocyclones (sp???)" and "Water Spouts", but nothing at all like the Mid U.S. plains of "Tornado Alley".
With a choice between the Earthquakes we experience regularly - vs - Tornados and Hurricanes, give me Seismic events anytime!
Just step outside and away from Buildings, let the shaking knock stuff over, return later with demo crew, rebuild, etc.

The closest thing to a Tornado / Hurricane event I have ever witnessed, was a Microburst.
It occurred late one night, during an intense Summer Storm (likely generated from a Pacific Hurricane).
I was watching the intense Lightning discharges - many of them connecting within 1/8 Mile and closer, when the Microburst came rolling through.
The winds picked up a full 4 x 8 sheet of 1-1/4" Plywood (two 5/8" sheets screwed together), and had it "Dancing" around my Back Yard - then over the fence into the Park next to our House!!!

That was an _Amazing_ sight, especially since that Plywood weighed something like 60 Pounds (at least it seemed that heavy!), and didn't know any Ballroom Dancing ... wink

In my past studies of Lightning Phenomena, the topics of Tornadoes and Hurricanes is somewhat covered, as Thunderstorms accompany these Cyclones.

As fascinating as those Weather Disturbances are, I still have no wish to experience them up close.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35 #163604 05/12/07 06:03 AM
togol Offline OP
Scott,
Thank You,
you mentioned waterspouts. I saw one of those begin to take shape a few years ago on Lake Michigan, but it never touched the water, but a little sailboat was having a rough time trying to get off the lake.

and you can have those earthquakes..

it turns out another electrician saw the cop car that was caught in the funnel fly past his place , according to him the car was spinning like a top with the nose pointing toward the ground.

have not heard any more about the cops status

Tom
togol #163642 05/13/07 12:48 PM
E
e57 Offline
From what I understand, died of injuries later...

Mark Heller
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard