ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Hello,

Here in oregon the electrical apprenticeship is going to open up again for applications so i will be applying on may 14th with IBEW local 48 in portland. I have already talked to some of the higher ups in the local about the application process, currently i am a carpenter doing drywall, metal stud framing ect., the guy i talked to the other day from the local told me that from my construction experience i have that should be a plus for me as far as working with tools and the ability to learn things, he said i sound like im a pretty good candidate> My main question is how hard is the math and reading test you take? I know it will have algebra, how in depth in algebra are we talking just like first year algebra questions? I had about 3 years of algebra years ago, i have a neighbor that is pretty good with algebra and is going to give me a refresher course to wake my brain up LOL, so what thins should i really be studying as far as the algebra goes? i'm not worried about the oral interview, i just want to do really well on the math part if i can do that i feel i will be in great shape as far as being placed high on the list hopefully. thanks for any help you guys can give me.

E
anyone?

W
I have no clue about an IBEW test but I can't see the Math being too in depth. I got thru night classes at my local Tech school without doing any math past Algebra 1. You'll need to be able to manipulate an equation with 1 unknown. Not that hard. My 2 cents for whatever its worth:)

I
ITO Offline
Considering the unions have been losing market share for years they are not as picky as you might think. The union country club mentality is long gone, and has been replaced with a more accepting lets fill the ranks mentality. If you are clean, can read, have some math skills (pre-algebra preferred, but not required), and the right attitude, there shouldn’t be any problems getting you into the program.

Believe me, just being clean, having the right attitude, showing up every day, and on time is a very big deal, the math skills come second. The local I use has a math class just for guys that need a little help with their math skills.

This is just my observations based on the locals in the Texas area.

101° Rx = + /_\
R
If you are clean, can read, have some math skills (pre-algebra preferred, but not required),

The biggest reason that people do not finish our apprentice program is because they can't do the math in the lessons. We require at least one year of HS algebra with a minimum grade of C to get into the program and we run a math review class before starting the first year lessons. We have found that a large percentage of those who do not have a passing grade on the test at the end of the math review class cannot maintain the required scores on the lesson tests.
There is not a lot on math on our pre-test.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
ITO Offline
Sounds like you have a better labor pool up there, do you actively recruit or do they come knocking on your door? How many of them actually have the math prerequisite?

The reason I ask is we very actively recruit and are always on the look out for young men ready to start a career, but just can seem to fill our ranks.

101° Rx = + /_\
M
Algebra and trigonometry at a grade 11 level should get you through. there is a lot of simpler algebra like in Ohms law calcs to slightly more complex for power factor. Trigonometry comes in for phasers and bending pipe too

J
Here are some links to info you need.
http://www.ibew125.com/
http://www.ibew280.org/
http://www.njatc.org/
http://www.ibew.org
Hope these help you Good Luck!

M
Just to throw my 2 cents worth in on this subject. Math is important, but be realistic. You are not trying to do rocket science. The ability to solve basic equations is necessary, but not mandatory. There are a lot of potential apprentices out there that fail the test given them for the apprenticeship program. They failed, not because they didn't know math, they failed for the same reason a lot of people do, they just lock up in a testing situation. I have worked a few of them in my crews over the years. Maybe they can't take a test, or even do calculations, but when they went to the field, they were just like a fish in water. They took off with it and did just as well, if not better that some of the "formal apprentices" I have seen.

ITO hit the nail on the head. Clean, dependable, and having the right attitude is more important than " does this person know "Ohm's Law". Everything else can, and will come in time.

I personally have been in this trade since 1968, have never taken algebra, never been to apprencticeship school, but yet just by working in the field around a lot of experienced people, their knowledge rubbed off on me. In 1986 I passed my State Master's exam and have held the license ever since then. In 1988 I had a chance to go into engineering and took the leap. I am now approachin my 20 year date in engineering, with an international company. My opinions and knowlege are respected. This was all done with no formal apprenticeship or math education.

What I am saying is..... go for the apprenticeship training... it is worth it. If you don't get in, don't worry, if you have the drive and the desire, you can do anything you want, including being an electrician.

R
ITO,
How many of them actually have the math prerequisite?

It is a requirement. If they don't have it, their application is not accepted.
do you actively recruit or do they come knocking on your door?

We usually get 7 to 10 applicants for every open position. We do some low level recruiting at school career days.

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard