ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16307 11/09/02 09:56 PM
S
SamC Offline OP
After being layed off 4 times in the last year from a plyewood mill, I started contracting out myself, I am registered and insured for $2 M
in my town to do res and com work. Today a customer liked the quote I gave on a job to wire a 3 bedroom bunk house< after checking with out of town contractors > she choose me.

Here's my problem, I gave 2 options
1st: Flat rate for the Bunk house only.
2nd: Hourly for what ever she needed to comply.

They want hourly. My problem is they want to do some of the wiring themself's to save on cost. The Elec permit is under my Contracting name and insured the same. I don't want to let them wire under my name.
What would you do?

P.S I don't need this job, Would any of you allow customers to do any of the elec work under your name beside digging the ditch.

Thanks in advance SamC

#16308 11/09/02 10:04 PM
Maybe you could use a variation of the "$30 per hour, $45 if you watch, and $60 if you help" theme...

Or: Anything you have to fix, repair or replace of their work to pass code is double time and double materials cost.

If you don't need the work, make it worth your while, then document everything you did and did not do. If it isn't legal in your state for a homeowner to do their own electrical work, then walk, no, run away.

Oh, and don't forget "consultation and education" fees if they ask you any questions.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-09-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#16309 11/09/02 10:17 PM
Sam,
I would drop that one like a hot potato,
we have a system here in NZ, where people like me(Electrical Technician), have to certify the wiring done by others.
If they want to do their own wiring, ask them to get you to check it before any linings are applied, again after the accessories are fitted(ask them to leave the plates off the wall) and connect up all of the new work to the supplying board yourself, after testing it with a continuity tester, cover your own behind, it's damn near impossible to get your Licence back once you've lost it. [Linked Image]

#16310 11/09/02 10:18 PM
E
Interesting conundrum SamC,

This is kind of at the heart of the DIY question.

I've worked with homeowners, on occasion. I require that they only work when I am present and that I review everything they do, before it is closed or covered up. They have to accept that I will need to teach them specifics and that I will include this time in my billable hours.

I my area, the local governments allow the owner / occupant of a single family dwelling to secure his own permit and do the work. Any other type of building requires an Electrical Contractor license holder to pull the permit.

Can your client pull their own permit? This, at minimum, records their involvement. If not, then they can't touch the tools unless you are present.

I have found my clients receptive to this notion, as, at heart, they really want a safe installation.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
#16311 11/10/02 12:07 AM
G
I am a firm believer in allowing people to DIY but ...

Around here anyone doing work on your permit would need to be licensed - that excludes DIYers. I suppose your insurer would not like them working either.

This is different than if you are asked to inspect or finish work done by a DIYer.

#16312 11/10/02 12:21 AM
E
George,

Are apprentices in your area licensed?

Al

Al Hildenbrand
#16313 11/10/02 07:26 AM
S
point taken Al,
In my experience working with a DIY'er there is much explanation & some backtracking for boo-boo's.
This is not unlike a raw recruit to our trade.
The thing is, some listen/retain/perform, some do not and actually cost themselves more....

#16314 11/10/02 08:53 AM
E
Sam, you answered your own question. You don't need the work, and you don't want them wiring under your name. The fact that you have some doubt already is enough for me. You will undoubtedly regret this arangement at some point. Leave this for someone who doesn't mind this arrangement or someone who needs the work.

#16315 11/10/02 12:44 PM
E
Sam, I did something like this one time, but with a small contractor. It was a nightmare and I won't do it again. I could've wire the job myself in the time I spent answering questions and redoing taps. So I personally would say no.

#16316 11/10/02 01:09 PM
S
I have run into nitemares just letting homeowners supply their own fixtures. I could not imagine letting them do their own work.

As well intended as their efforts maybe, you will save yourself a lot of aggravation by insisting on doing the work yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard