ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#162977 04/28/07 12:08 PM
S
I just counted how many things I have plugged in on "my side of the bed" (I'm single at the moment, so there's nothing on "her side of the bed"), and discovered that I have eight things plugged into extension cords there.

Common safety wisdom would have that there should be wall receptacles for all of these, so I'm not using extension cords. That would make four duplex receptacles that I should have there.

I suspect that a "her", with cell phone charger, Blackberry charger, lamp, clock radio, and whatnot, would also need quite a few receptacles there.

So, my questions are:

1) How much stuff do you guys have plugged in by your beds?

2) How many receptacles do you normally install at the bedside in a master bedroom?

M
Right now I have 4 things, though it often swells to 6+ with chargers:
1. Clock radio
2: Lamp
3: Scanner Charger
4:Streamlight Stinger (Flashlight) Charger/cradle

If I'm dealing with a custom house, I'll at least put a 4-plex on each side of the bed, though I have, at the owner's request, put a 4 gang in on each side. If I was building my house, I'd do at least that, or maybe a quad and two single gangs to handle all the adapters things have these days.

Wiremold add on boxes can turn a duplex into a quad (or more)

-Mike

B
I remember seeing a quad the would fit into a single gang box, I believe. The slots were all turned at angles. Has anyone seen one or know where to get them?

G
At my house I went with 3 quads to cover the 2 likely bed locations and 2 4 way loops at about 36" nat each bed location and by the door. One controls the overhead light and one controls one of the receptacles for lamps. I have a wall mounted desk just outside the bedroom for all those blackberry's, palms and phones. That has a duplex and a strip for the wallwarts.

Greg Fretwell
C
At my bed side Receptacle I have the Following plugged in
1. A clock
2. lamp (Fitted with a CFL bulb)
3 Cordless Phone ac adapter
4. a small fan

on the other side of my bed I have another power strip thats plugged into a nearby receptacle via extension cord that has a
1. a lamp (3-Way Bulb 50-100-150)
2.CPAP Machine (A Medical machine to help me breath at night)
3. A Laptop computer
4. Power Failure Flashlight

Leviton Makes the quad that fits into a single gang box the leviton part number is 1254-XX 15 AMP (XX = the color you want)21254
= 20 AMP

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
Originally Posted by ComputerWizKid

2. CPAP Machine (A Medical machine to help me breath at night)

You still need:
5. Aussie Heated Hose. smile

For me it depends how many chargers I have plugged in. There's a recept. one foot from the end of my bed (which sits against the wall/radiator.) I (violated the UL listing) and mounted a power strip to the bed post, with an old plastic shelf for all my chargers.

Let's count shall we?

1. iBook Charger
2. Father's Comcast laptop charger
3. Drill battery charger
4. Video camera charger
5. Cell phone charger
6. iPod charger.

Six items exactly, from one power strip. Of course not all are used at one given time, and they're unplugged when not used.

Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 04/28/07 07:33 PM.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
T
My bedside has 4 things, alarm clock, portble phone, ipod charger and one of those white noise generator [for wife]

If an owner request a quad, I suggest 2 duplex on either side of the same stud, that way you can plug in a wall wart and not lose a plug in point. I have not done 2 gang quads for years now.

C
A Gem (6 way) tap.
Plugged into it:

Desk power system, which amounts to a power strip, half switched. I have a computer (monitor, CPU) on that.
Clock Radio. Typical LED electronic/Transistor Radio from the 1980s.
Bedside Lamp. 60W incandescent wallish lamp on a rotary in-line dimmer.

In the summer I have a fan which I run through an old furnace control relay, which I have connected to a set-back thermostat in cooling mode. It plugs into the Gem tap also.

T
I have an 3 outlet extension cord (it's an old house, with no power on that wall),feeding 3 power strips (2x 3 outlet, 1x 6 outlet) which are mounted to the end of the custom (1x12 pine) sideboard which holds all the bedside stuff.
TV, 2 DVD players, VCR, RF modulator to feed TV, 2 lights, cell charger, laptop, cordless phone charger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard