ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A four way power outlet by the bed feeds:
-two electric blankets (in winter)
-two bedside lamps
-mobile phone charger

The Clipsal C2015D4 outlets are the best thing for beside the bed with the four outlets to replace double outlets:
http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnline/ProductInformation.aspx?CatNo=C2015D4&ref=

R
Interesting topic.
In our bedroom we have the following items plugged in.
A 230 Volts 15 Amp supply feeding to single ppt's at either side of the bed.
One is Feeding a board with kWh meter and time switches which control a multi ppt strip:
Bedlamp
Amplifier,
CD / DVD player,
Reel to reel tapedeck
Cassette deck
Tuner
Scanner
Phone charger
An extension lead to the
TV
Fan
VCR
Large digital LED clock
One or two leads i don't even know what is at the end, covered with magazines (lazy me)

Other side (misses)
Bedlamp
Phone charger
Hairdryer, ( i tell her to unplug it )

A third separate powerpoint 230 Volts 20 Amps is for an electric lpug in heater.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
G
I just looked, I have 2 lamps, 2 clocks and a wall wart that I am not even sure what it does.
You folks should kick the rest of that stuff out of your bedroom. You will be happier.
Leave the palm pilot and blackberry with the keys to your truck.

Greg Fretwell
Note to self: install outlet in top-of-stairs-hallway.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
Kid that isn't a bad idea. I am old, trust me. Leave your job in the hall.

Greg Fretwell
Our room also has the TV & AUSTAR satellite decoder. This room is the only one that has the reverse cycle aircon so we like to "hide" in the on the humid days when the evaporative aircon just doesn't do the job.

I'm in agreance about "leaving work outside" as me & my missus have days where the home phone, both mobiles & the computer are left off or unplugged to give us a day together with no distractions.

Last edited by 32VAC; 05/06/07 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Originally Posted by gfretwell
<snip>
.....You folks should kick the rest of that stuff out of your bedroom. You will be happier.
Leave the palm pilot and blackberry with the keys to your truck.

I agree totally. I leave my cell phone to charge in my office. (Second bedroom) smile

I do have a 90-degree plug cord and a surge protector coming out from the recept. (Behind the bed) to my nightstand. Just a radio and lamp plugged in there. Across the room I have my LCD TV and tuner. During the summer a small window A/C (6.5 amps running draw) shares the recept.

In the other bedroom (office) it's the computer (on 500va UPS),with laser printer, fax machine and cell phone charger.

This apartment I'm in was wired in the mid 40's. All cloth romex, no grounds anywhere (except in the new circuits I added and the homerun to the old general receptacle circuit.) Both bedrooms only have two recepts, centered on opposing walls. The homerun landed in the wall common to both bedrooms (north wall master, south wall office) so I was able to readily add grounds to those two recept. The boxes are back-to back. (4 squares with single gang mudrings.)

The living room had only two recepts originally, one on the east and north walls, plus a (formerly) switched recept on the south wall. The landlord had added one more to the north wall at one time.

When I moved in ALL the recepts, including kitchen and bath, and bedrooms and living room, all on ONE 20a circuit!! The original H/R was...get this, a three wire Romex with one #12 black, 1 # 12 white neutral and a #14! red hot leg !!! (That was for the lights.) Very strange stuff. If I can ever get into the wall where it is abandoned, I'll cut a piece and post pics.

It was a bad splice in the bedroom j-box (guess which wire) that prompted me to do all the upgrades below. And not a shared branch circuit neutral in the house! smile

I now have two new circuits to the kitchen, one for the microwave and one with a two-gang Gfi'd for appliances (The garbage disposal and one recept in the dining area are still on the original run.)

The bath is next to be broken off (I have the H/R to the attic, just haven't tied it in yet).

And I have a dedicated circuit to my cinema sound rack in the living room. smile

The landlord is a good friend of many years and split the cost of the upgrades with me. smile

Stupid should be painful.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard