ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hey, sorry to be a wet blanket, but I think the new forum looks awful. The template looks like last years default CMS template and the screen is filled with so much claptrap that the actual threads consume less than 50% of the page.

You can only see a few posts per page, and because people don't want to keep going from page to page, once a post falls back a page or two, it's essentially gone.

Go out and get a decent "Theme" or "Style" or whatever, the current theme is really primative.

While you're at it, how about some modern features like "karma" (voting for posts / posters) and AVATARS! Heavens to mergatroid! All forums these days have avatars!

Hey, I'm not knocking ya, this is an improvement over the last forum software, but this is nowhere even near what is currently being done on the average forum.

I'm from California so I know what I'm talking about, you can do a lot better.

Whoop! Whoop!

I'm from California so I know what I'm talking about,

crazy crazy crazy

Wood work but can't!
M
Well, you beat me to it, I was going to post something similar to Romex's post. The sreeen is so crowded with stuff, that it takes a lot away from the actual content (the posts). Also, you can only see about 12 posts on the home page, so they disapear into oblivion after a day. There should be a way to convert this into a single line for each post, instead of the 2 plus cell border that's there now. I know the old software had its bugs, but it looked the best out of all the software I have seen used in forums. I sthere a way to clean up and simplify the new forum software.

Ending my rant, I don't want to complain too much about something that's free and useful! I still love the forum!

Mike

Originally Posted by Romex Racer

You can only see a few posts per page, and because people don't want to keep going from page to page, once a post falls back a page or two, it's essentially gone.

Rubbish, that is what navigating a site is all about.

Go out and get a decent "Theme" or "Style" or whatever, the current theme is really primative.

Primitive in what way, it's only my opinion but I kinda like the new look.

While you're at it, how about some modern features like "karma" (voting for posts / posters)

That whole karma thing on BBoards is for children and is often open to abuse.

R
Abuse Karma? LOL, ya gotta be kidding. Look, you're from New Zealand, you guys still have a Queen for pete's sake, before you declare this forum to be state-of-the-art, take a look around at other forums, the ECN forum display is sub par.

I'm just 63 IQ points away from being a genius, trust me Trumpy, I'm only trying to help.

[Linked Image from uticaod.com]

R
Hey, since I'm whining and complaining, this forum is in serious need of an "off topic" section. For fun banter and hijinks.

Last edited by Webmaster; 04/28/07 01:03 AM. Reason: picture removed
H
Don't know if its just me so has anybody else noticed that the activity here has dropped off considerably since this new format was introduced?

-Hal

S
There's plenty of other sites for all that other nonsense the OP mentioned. AVATARS are not going to answer my questions about transformer overprotection devices or temperature ratings of XHHW conductors. ECN is the best electrical contractor information page and thats whats most important, IMO, of course.

J
I agree with Romex Racer. What was the reason for the change? I liked the forum the way it was. I hate change just for change sake.

R
Originally Posted by ShockMe77
AVATARS are not going to answer my questions about transformer overprotection devices or temperature ratings of XHHW conductors.

Those questions are answered in the NEC, but a forum is not a simple question and answer submission tool. A forum is as much a social environment as it is a technical environment. Camaraderie should not be discouraged. This forum is an eyesore and lacks features that users like.

What's the purpose of this forum? It's purpose is to sell advertising. It does that by attracting and retaining a member base.

Obviously the owner of this site was interested in upgrading things around here, I'm sure he's interested in receiving feedback.

[Linked Image from library.ucf.edu]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard