ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
It's the end of the world as we know it...

Ian (And I Feel Fine) A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
I
ITO Offline
This is how Radio Shack does their finish outs. (not kidding) They furnish the wire, boxes, outlets and glue and you install it for all of the floor and display cases. I figure about 16 hours a store for the flatwire alone.

Last edited by ITO; 04/28/07 12:54 AM.

101° Rx = + /_\
M
Should be absolutely 100% safe and reliable if it was protected by one of those new 100 % safe and reliable ark fault breakers that I have to buy for housewiring jobs.

Cat Servant
I just saw a Southwire ad for this product. It is intended for low voltage, and has a metal plate that covers it.

Last edited by renosteinke; 04/28/07 06:09 PM.
R
I still don't see any way to use this without major changes to Article 324 or a new article. The rules in 324 only permit it to be installed under carpet squares and do not permit it to be used in residential applications.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
I still don't see any way to use this without major changes to Article 324 or a new article. The rules in 324 only permit it to be installed under carpet squares and do not permit it to be used in residential applications.
Don

Yup, under carpet squares, we did a number of floors in some of the high rise buildings using flat ribbon cable with metal cover, that was the only approved application to date, have no fear, they tried to market this since the early 70's with little intrest.

C
I've seen this years ago in an electronics gadget magazine.

M
Did a big commercial job with under the carpet wiring for power and phone in 1985. We ran miles of the stuff, and all in all, I wasn't impressed with the stuff. I guess I wasn't the only one, cause 20 years later folks think this is something new. This too shall pass.

Z
You sure these are new? I could swear that they were floating around a few years ago, but I've never seen anything like that installed.

I don't foresee a UL listing anytime soon...

F
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
Don

Don, you are correct in the sense that it won't be Article 324.

Here provided is a link to an Analysis of Changes, NEC-2008. Scroll down and read Article 382, which I will quote below the link for convenience. Note the figure 7 image is 120v FlatWire.

http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magazine/06_e/johnston.html

"... New technologies, consumer electronics devices such as flat panel televisions and custom audio systems, along with ever-changing lifestyles have increased the need for additional power outlets and the desire to place power or lighting outlets where needed to obtain functionality as well as an aesthetically pleasing environment. Often these changes are poorly accommodated through the use of extension cords that are easily damaged, misused and can lead to electrical hazards. This new type of concealable flat nonmetallic extension incorporated into Article 382 provides a safe and reliable alternative for existing occupancies that can reduce the misuse of extension cords, overload power taps, and so forth (see figure 7)."

"Article 382 has been revised to incorporate provisions for concealed flat nonmetallic extensions. A new definition of this type of concealable flat nonmetallic extension has been added in 382.2. The article has been expanded to include specific product listing requirements in 382.6. Sections 382.10 and 382.12, covering Uses Permitted and Uses Not Permitted, have been revised and expanded to incorporate requirements and restrictions for concealable flat nonmetallic extensions. A new Part III has been added to Article 382 and provides specific construction specifications for concealable flat nonmetallic extensions."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard