ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Its getting time to consider a business vehicle perchase/lease. Would like to discover what would be best in general. To open up a can of worms; I thought I would ask the wealth of experience available here some questions.
1. How does a work vehicle affect Image and can it be quantfied in dollars and cents?
2. How many contractors out there lease vehicles and what are the advantages vs the pitfalls.
3. If usage makes a difference for lease vs buying used....what would be the best for a small contractor doing 10 to 15 k total miles a year (no major city work).

I appreciate your responses. Thanks

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
R
RDK Offline
Lease is 100% write off

S
Originally Posted by TheGreatSparkalini

1. How does a work vehicle affect Image and can it be quantfied in dollars and cents?

I believe a clean and reliable truck will help convince a customer that you do clean and reliable work. I don't know how I would quantify it, but I have been in discussions where customers have told me they would never hire a guy who would drive a truck and keep his tools "like that". I don't believe fancy new trucks are required, but they should be clean and organized.

And they absolutely, positively, have to get you to the job on time, every time.

The opposite is also true. We often work alongside a plumbing contractor who drives a Mercedes. That car comes up in conversation far to often to believe that no one notices it and thinks they are being overcharged. He bought the car used for not much more than the cost of a good pickup but it doesn't matter. The very sight of it on the job irritates people.

2. How many contractors out there lease vehicles and what are the advantages vs the pitfalls.

I buy my trucks a couple of years old and run them until it costs more to fix them than the payments on a new one, or they deteriorate to the point that they are a visual liability. I typically buy a 2 or 3 year old truck with less than 50K miles on it for about 1/2 what the truck would cost new. Given that we run 1 ton pickups with utility bodies and the body alone is about $8K I get my best value that way. I've been trading them at about 150K - 200K miles and it's nice to see that American trucks are lasting that long these days.

I have a couple of problems with lease vehicles. The first is that they are nearly always new and depreciation eats you alive. The second is that you are guaranteed to have a truck payment forever and nothing to show for it at the end. Leases are set up to benefit the leasing company, not you.

3. If usage makes a difference for lease vs buying used....what would be the best for a small contractor doing 10 to 15 k total miles a year (no major city work).

By California standards you don't drive much and your annual mileage would be within the range acceptable to most lease companies. The problem however, is that the truck has to look like brand new when you turn it in and if you're working out of it, it won't. Look for hefty charges for dings and dents at the end of the lease period.

The tax writeoff thing can be useful, but on a purchased truck you can write off the entire purchase the first year - I don't think you can do that with a lease. Talk to your tax guy - there are limits to how much you can write off (with my used trucks it has been 100%) the limit changes and it may not even be possible any more, but that is how I have been doing it.

At 10K miles per year, you might consider a sub $10K hi mile (100K?) van (I assume you use vans in Maine) to get you the best bang for your buck. Buy it for $10K, write it all off the first year, put 75K miles on it in 5 years and junk it for $1000 at the end.

You'll be paying something like $7K (depends on your tax structure) for 5 years and 50-75K miles. That's less than the depreciation on a new truck the day you drive it off the lot.

Last edited by stevecheyenne; 04/26/07 10:07 AM.
I
ITO Offline
Everything stevecheyenne said, only I buy new trucks and sell them for $1000 (or less) at 200K miles to my employees.

101° Rx = + /_\
M
track leasing is the best option if you can do it..best of both worlds...

S
What is track leasing?

E
I googled it and found:

1) leasing of a RR track
2) leasing of a race track
3) fast track leasing for Ryder trucks (fleets)

Earl
D
trac=terminal rental adjustment clause

M
Trac Leasing allows the tax advantages of a lease, with the benefits of a purchase.

Quick info on trac leasing

Whenever we can use trac leasing (not all manufacturers do it - Sprinters didn't a while back, don't know about now) We do a $1 buyout. $0 down, truck pays for itself from day 1.

D
This is an interesting find:

An open-end lease usually has a short minimum term (one year), then continues on a month-to-month basis until the lessee terminates. Most open-end leases contain what is known as a TRAC clause (Terminal Rental Adjustment Clause). The TRAC clause provides that when the vehicle is turned in and sold by the lessor, if the proceeds from the sale exceed a value determined at lease inception, the lessee gets the excess. If the proceeds are less, the lessee must pay the difference. Most open-end leases do not contain mileage or wear-and-tear penalties, and often contain a “step-down” payment schedule, wherein payments decline annually.

Found here:http://www.fleet-central.com/af/t_remarketing.cfm?fromsite=af&action=articles_pick&storyID=1071&remarketing=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard