ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
The deal is as follows. A kitchen island about 6" long and 4" deep is installed less than a foot from a side wall. The back foot of the island is higher than the rest of the isle by about 12". This give me a nice backsplash area to install two recepts in. The kicker is the island is not completely permantly installed. It has feet that will allow it to be moved if neccesary to bring in furniture or new appliances at some time in the future. Any idea as to how to power this thing safely and legally that will allow homeowner to disconnect and reconnect as needed?

Do they want Receptacles there?
If they do not, it may be excused by local Inspectors because it is not a permanent Fixture. If it is moveable it is more like Furniture.

Bill

Bill
S
ok, lemme throw this out.....

wire up a so cord with a power inlet/outlet scenario ??

E
They want outlets ON THE ISLAND. I tried to convince them a receptacle on the wall adjacent to the island is a good idea. They will have a micro sitting on here and who knows what else. Sparky, thats what I was thinking.

S
hmmm, so basically you'd be permanently wiring a piece of furniture? , dunno where to refer this in the NEC [Linked Image]

on the cord angle, you could introduce the ever popular L14-20 twist locks , and thus 240/120 4Wire and 2-20A branch circuits....

i guess it works on paper....... [Linked Image]

E
Wire it permanently from underneath with excess romex hidden underneath so when it comes time to move it they will have the flexibility to move it out of the way but it will still be permanent.

When they are done they simply coil up the excess cable and plant it again.

They should be instructed to call you when they move it though.

H
Does your state allow for a "Variation from the code"? Here in NJ if a homeowner doesn't want something that is in the code, they can ask for a variation from the code. If the inspector agrees, then the subcode offical and the construction code offical signs the paper and waves the requirment. Having a floor receptacle in a kitchen might not be a good or safe idea. Maybe you can use that point in your defense. How about small children, if the "island" moves while being plugged in, that could also be unsafe.

S
Harold,
an agreeable passing of the 'liability ' torch, if available.
myself i would make the floor rec fed via GFI breaker, if said configuration were approved......

S
As Harold stated. Tell the owner/gc this is by no means safe or code compliant. If they
ask "why", or quetion you, give them the building dept. #, and inspector's name. If they get a variance, just say "damn", and still walk away.
John

[This message has been edited by scjohn (edited 11-11-2002).]

S
Would a safe way to do this be to mount a power strip or a 4-way surface mount outlet (you know those square plastic deals) to the side of the island and route the 3-conductor extension cord through one of those floor "cord covers"?

It's a beveled strip of rubber with a groove underneath through which you can route your cable - supposedly this avoides the insulation from getting scraped and stepped on.

Somehow I feel the answer will be "no" but I'm just throwing this out to see what happens.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-11-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard