ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I'd like to put a little background here first. The Chatroom Software is a stand-alone product not related to the Forum Software here. As it comes "out of the box" it allows anyone to sign up with any name and password, which we thought would be confusing to members as to who is who and there would be no assurance that someone would not be impersonated there. With this in mind the chat software was modified to look at the forum name and password database at some point for confirmation.

Here is the problem:
The new Forum has one-way encrypted name and password info that can't be read by the chatroom software, so it is still reading the old Forum database info at this time. This means that new people cannot get signed up for the chat area at the present time, unless we enter some info manually. It also means (I think) that if an existing chat member changes their password the new password will not work for the chat area as it is looking for the old one.

We are looking into solutions to resolve the problem, but in the meantime, if any New Members would like to use the chat area you can send me a PM with the password you would like to use and I will set it up. Otherwise you can also send an email to: Webmaster@Electrical-Contractor.net with your username and password (please put ECN chat in the subject so I can pick it out of the spam)

Also, if any existing chat members have a problem or need their chat password changed let me know.

Bill

Last edited by Webmaster; 04/26/07 01:06 AM. Reason: Added Bold for emphasis
Thanks for the update Bill,and the extra precautions for the members chatroom

R
RDK Offline
I can never login? Im using my pass word and proper name

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by RDK
I can never login? Im using my pass word and proper name
RDK,

As I said above, if any New Members would like to use the chat area you can send me a PM with the password you would like to use and I will set it up. Otherwise you can also send an email to: Webmaster@Electrical-Contractor.net with your username and password (please put ECN chat in the subject so I can pick it out of the spam)

Bill

L
I don't guess I will be able to be apart of the chatrooms anymore..reguardless. My work computer has had the 'java script' disabled.? Just another restriction I am going to have to deal with. I just hope the IT people here at my work don't block me from this site altogether, since I don't have internet @home.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Luke,
Not entirely true.
As long as the computer you are using has Java Work Environment on it, you should be fine.
I'm not for anyone slacking off at work, being on the Net, but as far as I am aware it is not a script that allows you into Chatrooms.
As long as your cookies are "true" with the ECN server, you shouldn't have a problem.
BTW, Scripts are what hackers use to take over computers.
Javascript has little to do with it.

N
I was a programmer for over 10 years in a different life. I know exactly what the prob and fix is. If you need some help please feel free to drop me a line, its the very least I can do. Without this site I would have been lost and most likely never applied for my apprentice electrician license.

C
I am still getting booted off the browser when I try to log on to the Chat Room. Whenever I try to log into the chat, the whole browser closes completely. This is happening with both firefox and explorer.

I e-mailed Bill with a username and password but so far, no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Of course, maybe the guys in the chat room don't want me there any more :-)?

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by Check Pilot
I am still getting booted off the browser when I try to log on to the Chat Room. Whenever I try to log into the chat, the whole browser closes completely. This is happening with both firefox and explorer.

I e-mailed Bill with a username and password but so far, no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Of course, maybe the guys in the chat room don't want me there any more :-)?
CP,

I can't make changes to that database myself, but it looks like my (your) request was carried out but I wasn't notified.

Try it now with the info you sent me. I tried it and logged in there fine using it.

If you can't get in there now it may mean you have something wrong with your java or some settings on your Computer

Bill

H
IF a person has desire and works at it I think they could make it.
That is one thing appitude test do not measure is desire. I have taken several appitude tests to go to work for companies and they tell me that that I do not have what it takes to be an electrician because I donot understand about square pegs and round holes. Well my phone rings in the middle of the night they dont ask if I know about square pegs and round holes or if I have read Shakesspear or if I can do X and Y and Greek math they could care less they just the problem fixed. I was working as a contractor in a large chemical plant and over heard two managers talking about the recent hires not being able to do the jobs and they agreed that all the HR department would hire was people who could pass the appitude test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard