ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Is the triple tandem legal?

As long as you don't exceed the speed limit.
This requires two energy bars. Unless going down hill.

OK, I give up .... where in the world do you find either the bike, or the trailers?

http://www.rhoadescar.com/lobby.htm
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/

Last edited by A-Line; 05/05/07 03:10 PM.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
C
A-Line,

LMAO...you got all the angles figured out.
Good job
Please continue to peddel your wares.

Last edited by Celtic; 05/05/07 05:37 PM.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
I
ITO Offline
Sales is a funny thing, and there are many ways to do it. While not an expert, there are a few things I have a hard time selling, and fear is one of them. The whole comparing yourself to a doctor and your house is going to burn down is a losing proposition and at best you come across as more arrogant than professional.

If you want to sell something and be a commodity then in my opinion you would be better off selling yourself, as a clean, professional, licensed, bonded electrician with references and experience, who can get the job done correctly and on time.

Part of the problem with the residential market and working directly for home owners is that they are not big repeat customers, and they don’t understand that while there is always a cheaper price out there, that there is really only one right price to do it correctly. If you can sell that, with your professionalism then it’s a win win deal, they feel good about your services and you get work for a fair price.

I am not saying I know how to do this well, its just that if a deal falls through you need to be able to leave the door open in such a way the client feels good about calling you back if they realize you were right. The whole “your house is going to burn down” angle may have left a bad taste in their mouth and people don’t like to admit they were wrong.

Just something to think about.

101° Rx = + /_\
A
Originally Posted by ITO
The whole comparing yourself to a doctor and your house is going to burn down is a losing proposition and at best you come across as more arrogant than professional.

The whole “your house is going to burn down” angle may have left a bad taste in their mouth and people don’t like to admit they were wrong.

I completely agree. I don't generally say things like this but this was the third time this guy called. The last time he called he had quite an attitude and was talking all cocky about how I was going to have to beat these other guys by 10% if I was even going to be considered for the job.

The first time he called the office he was told we have a dispatch fee to come out and give an estimate.

The second time he called I answered the phone and he said he wasn't going to pay a dispatch fee but was willing to let me come out and give him an estimate.

I told him we charge a dispatch fee for this and he hung up on me.

The third time he called he copped an attitude and told me I could have the job if I beat the other guys by 10%.

I'll admit by this time I was getting a little irritated by this guy and started in with the doctor comparison. I wasn't at all worried about not getting this job. I didn't want this job.

I had a feeling this guy would have been a royal pain. smile

I
ITO Offline
LOL... Yeah he sounds like a real tool. You probably would not want to work for somebody like that; they end up nickel and diming you to death.

In the past I have just walked away from guys like that with no regrets, because the last time I did not walk away it cost me.

I did a job one time for this guy that told me it was his job to make sure I did not make any money on the project, and refused to pay for changes. He held my draws for 90 days and then held my retainage for another 90, and only paid after a lien notice. Then warranty called me to death and threaten to sue me if I did not extend my warranty.

Sometimes it’s just better to walk away and let the guys who like to lowball take jobs like that.

101° Rx = + /_\
Thanks for that tid bit, we need to stick together if we are going to protect our nest eggs.
By the way I'm a new contractor.

COOKCC
M
my condolences cook...apparently you aren't any smarter than the rest of us laugh

S
Problem with Trunk Slammers?

Sorry, guilty here... I apprenticed for a trunk slammer for a year, and he was far from unsophisticated. His hands moved so fast they smoked. He could do trigonometry in his head. Everything he touched looked crisp and tight. His office was a single bedroom house which one of the guys lived in. Now he lives in a 1.5MM mansion.

He taught me well, but living on two Rockstars a day wasn't my thing. I also learned its better to work somewhere that provides health benefits and a good pension.
All in all it was great to learn what it really meant to: 'slam&jam' 'hang&bang' 'hack&slash' and so on.

M
Originally Posted by stevenj76
Problem with Trunk Slammers?

Sorry, guilty here... I apprenticed for a trunk slammer for a year, and he was far from unsophisticated. His hands moved so fast they smoked. He could do trigonometry in his head. Everything he touched looked crisp and tight. His office was a single bedroom house which one of the guys lived in. Now he lives in a 1.5MM mansion.

He taught me well, but living on two Rockstars a day wasn't my thing. I also learned its better to work somewhere that provides health benefits and a good pension.
All in all it was great to learn what it really meant to: 'slam&jam' 'hang&bang' 'hack&slash' and so on.

ok...so he made out well on the backs of his employees...

living on two Rockstars a day wasn't my thing. I also learned its better to work somewhere that provides health benefits and a good pension.

doesn't sound good to me. congrats to him for success at the expense of others. Not my goal.

C
mahlere-
I have a similar situation to steven76 but I also understand your point(I think)
I was trained buy a contractor who had me show up for work in the morning at his house. He too had hands faster than the eye. He literally had to slow down so I could see how he was making up a box. He also led by example. When my foreman looked at an attic crawl that both he and I thought was too tight, the boss, quite rightfully disgusted, came up and wriggled through it like it was nothing. I followed and to this day that has been a lasting impression on me. But only one of many. This guy knew what it took to get the job done and wasn't afraid to do it, know matter how hard it was or how long it took.
Yes I worked long and hard for what most would consider low wages. I took a significant pay cut to change from a go nowhere career to electrical.
Yes, his raises were small at first, but they came often and got larger later. He expressed gratitude in xmas bonuses as well. They were pretty decent. If I really needed money he would loan or give it to me.
And most important of all he would talk to me about code, business, the sleazyness of some homeowners and most GCs.
His example of what a motivated individual can do if he wants to, and his sharing of the ins and outs of what he had learned in business made my the free contractor that I am today and I will always remember that.

Now as far as surfing on the backs of others.
No I do not want to do that as employer and that's probably the main reason that I'm not an employer now. I would want to pay my employees so well and demand so little that that I would be inundated with people who would drive me out of business in no time at all.
Yes, I did resent knowing that 15%-20% of my annual income was based on bonuses that I couldn't necessarily plan around year to year.
And yes, I did resent the back breaking pace and complete dedication to "The Schedule" that was the central if not only the focus of my life at that time. But it helped forge me into a man that "get it done" "deal with it" or "whatever" not only in my professional life but my personal life as well. In hindsight I think I got the deal there.

Are you an employer and if so how do you make it all balance? I would like to know.
Vince

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard