ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#162724 04/24/07 03:11 PM
H
Hello all,

Can anybody comment on the Little Giant MXZ-21 ladder? (folds into a 21' stepladder) I need something that I can easily set up in a big custom home for trim, short of full blown scaffold or even baker scaffold. I just spent the morning with a 8' step ladder set on top of the baker stradling a fancy island counter top, and my legs are still shaking.
I can't stand all the little giant products that I have ever used, should I stay away from this giant?

Thanks

I have used the 21' giant once and it made my job much easier, and much safer. You can work safely without shaking legs.
Much safer than straping a 8' on top of a 12' (i did very dumb things in the younger days)

If you do large custome homes and can justify the need then go for it.

Edward

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

When our Genie lift was taken away from us by the insurance company (it was an older model that did not require the outriggers to be in before lifting the bucket, and the outriggers were long gone anyway), they gave us a 2-high section of rolling scaffold. Not quite high enough to get to things 40' in the air, so we would put an 8' ladder on top of two plywood boxes (approx 2-3'), on top of the scaffold deck.

Although it wasn't related, we also used to climb up the back of the telescoping sections of the genie lift, and walk around on the pipe grids in our black box theatre. OSHA? Who's that?

G
I bought one of the little giant ladders at a trade show a loooong time ago and I would never part with it.
It's sturdy, safe, light enough to easily carry and fits almost anywhere. Breaking it into 2 separate parts to use for scaffolding also comes in handy; since the old method was to use a ladder at 1 end and a pile of boxes (or a trash can) at the other. I even got my 24-footer in a 2 door sports car without having anything sticking out the windows or sunroof.

Caution - If you think OSHA is a small town in Wisconsin, you're in a lot of trouble.

Ghost307
S
Be careful of the weight limit on those things.

I nearly broke my ass trying to attach flood lights!

The ladder broke and I fell from 6-7 steps up.

Luckily, I fell into 1'-0" of snow.

T
I haven't seen these before, but the taller ones are all made of aluminum????????

Dave

S
I have the 19 ft. version. It's a lifesaver for things like stairs but don't expect easy setup. The thing is a beast to wrestle around.

Once you get it in place and set up though, it's good and sturdy.

S
We use them everyday. We have 2 of the 21' stepladders. They take a huge footprint to set up and they need "3 men & a boy" to lug around. That being said ... they are terrific in areas with sloping floors or stairs. I have actually stood on the top with one leg on each side to reach the ceiling (don't tell OSHA) and they are solid. We often have two people on them (that's probably a no-no also) and they are solid. We love em and hate em.

R
I have the big 22' fiberglass Little Giant. It's very sturdy, very strong and VERY heavy. It's the best ladder I ever bought. Great for hanging fixtures on stairways. AAA++++

[Linked Image from littlegiantladder.com]

Last edited by Romex Racer; 04/27/07 06:25 PM. Reason: Removed unrelated movie review.
Originally Posted by Romex Racer
I have the big 22' fiberglass Little Giant. It's very sturdy, very strong and VERY heavy. It's the best ladder I ever bought. Great for hanging fixtures on stairways. AAA++++

[Linked Image from littlegiantladder.com]

I have 2 of these in the back of my Sprinter. I love thes heavy beasts. I agree it is very strong and sturdy. It is the best ladder I have ever used.

Link Copied to Clipboard