ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Hi guys: I would like to ask one question about these two-pole breakers. The handles are "tied" together with a small piece of stiff wire that appears to be inserted in the open space in the two handles before the whole affair is assembled (and operates with a sorta sloppy movement from off to on and vice versa). Do these two halves of the double pole breaker operate as a common trip, i.e. a fault in either leg will cause both to open?

My reason for asking is that I have seen some of these double pole breakers that, for whatever reason, are missing the little handle tie and appear to function as nothing more than two separate single pole breakers (even though they are constructed as a two pole unit).

Mike (mamills)

At the risk of offending (please forgive me), it looks as though there are three breakers (well painted at that, unfortunately) that appear to be "off"- the ones with an X on them.

Cat Servant
Wa2wise, mamills ... Great catches.

The breakers with the "x" marks are, in fact, off while I worked on those circuits. One of the circuits mysteriously stopped supplying power to the entire run, and all three were in the same pipe. You caught me working ... and doing so safely ... don't let anyone find out! laugh

As for the small wires double-lugged to the mains ... by golly, you're right. I was so focused on the trees, I failed to see the forest. I was wondering what I would do for work Monday; now I have a customer to call upon.

B
Originally Posted by renosteinke
The 'stiff cardboard' is likely made of layers of paper, impregnated with phenolic resins. Not a whole lot different from the stuff Formica counter tops are made of.

I believe the black 'papery' material is likely vulcanized fiber or slang; "fish paper."

I've found that the stuff is only marginally water resistant, loosing its insulating quality with exposure to water or high humidity.

See: www.jjorly.com/fish_paper_die_cut.htm

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard