ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#16265 11/09/02 09:35 AM
S
Cindy asked " If you take an old car in for an oil change, do they make you install air bags and anti-lock brakes?"
Great analogy...
I am going to ask the same the next time I am in that position.
John

#16266 11/09/02 09:41 AM
Tom Offline
Chris,

I'm aware that many localities have variations from the NEC. Answers given here can take that into account, but unless otherwise stated should be assumed to be based on the NEC. After all,the local guy should know what the codes are in his area.

Beri,
Any jurisdiction that adopts a building code must have an appeals process in place. Usually, the issues aren't worth fighting over, but since there is so much money at stake, this one should be appealed.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#16267 11/09/02 11:11 AM
G
Just because the inspector or one of us has an opinion does not make anyone right or wrong.

I suppose that a condo unit owner should not be worried about the rest of the condo in any case.

I suppose that if the inspector has a right to require more recepts in the kitchens, that the 2 additional circuits those recepts might require might require more space than avaiable in the fuse box and that might require a new box - perhaps breakers now rather than fuses.

I suppose that the building was not always a concdo and when it changed it should have been brought up to code.

I suppose the inspector might have been thinking out loud until he could talk with someone with knowledge about the issues.

-----

Just 'cause someone says it does not mean it is so.

#16268 11/09/02 08:49 PM
S
I suppose...or..guess....all the time. You dont??
John

#16269 11/09/02 09:03 PM
M
Why do so many people want to go without inspections?

Because we know that once you allow the government access to your home or property to have a look around, there's no telling what they will make you do.

The inspector that is over zealous or the town council that over reacts, by passing excessive codes, needs to shoulder the blame for those who choose to work without inspections out of fear. They are the ones that create an environment where contractors and home owners feel a need to break the rules.

#16270 11/10/02 07:44 AM
P
On occasions I've seen wiring here in England that makes me think inspections would be a good thing.

Then I read about problems such as this, and it makes me glad that we don't have official inspections here.

I'm still in two minds over the whole issue.
[Linked Image]

#16271 11/10/02 09:58 AM
R
Beri: You being in NY forgot the standard procedure when dealing with inspectors, an envelope with something in it presented to the inspector when he arrived on site.

#16272 11/10/02 11:05 AM
HPDonline provides access to violations of record of the New York City Housing Maintenance Code and the New York State Multiple Dwelling Law in privately owned residential multi-family buildings in the City of New York. These laws state that it is the responsibility of owners to provide essential services, to maintain their properties in habitable conditions, and to correct and repair housing code violations. The accuracy of the HPDonline data is not guaranteed and should be used for informational purposes only. The violation report will reflect information on three classes of housing code violations:
A (non-hazardous, such as minor leaks, chipping or peeling paint when no children under the age of six live in the home, or lack of signs designating floor numbers. An owner has 90 days to correct an A violation and two weeks to certify repair to remove the violation).
B (hazardous, such as requiring public doors to be self-closing, adequate lighting in public areas, lack of posted Certificate of Occupancy, or removal of vermin. An owner has 30 days to correct a B violation and two weeks to certify the correction to remove the violation.)
C (immediately hazardous, such as inadequate fire exits, rodents, lead-based paint, lack of heat, hot water, electricity, or gas. An owner has 24 hours to correct a C violation and five days to certify the correction to remove the violation. If the owner fails to comply with emergency C violations such as lack of heat or hot water, HPD initiates corrective action through its Emergency Repair Program.)
Once a landlord corrects a violation he or she may remove it from the record by certifying that the violation was corrected within the required time period specified on the Notice of Violation. Certification instructions can be found on the back of the Notice of Violation. After the specified time period has passed, landlords may ask for a reinspection by filing a Dismissal Request form with their Borough Code Enforcement Office for a $300 fee. To report a maintenance issue, tenants may contact the Central Complaint Bureau at (212) 824-4328, a phone hotline that tenants may call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#16273 11/10/02 12:04 PM
H
Beri,

As Joe said, I would check with the construction dept and/or the city council. There might be an ordinance written that might require it. You might be able to fight the ordinance in a construction board of appeal. ( If you county/state has one) Here in NJ we have the "Rehab" code which says that if it exisits, we can't make them upgrade the dwelling. We are just soppose inspect the new work being done. If a contractor doesn't like my decision, he can bring me to the construction board of appeals for a ruling.

#16274 11/10/02 12:20 PM
E
I would be curious to know if this inspector is also a contractor looking to generate work for himself or others. This is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.

My understanding is the only thing they are charged with inspecting is what's on the permit.

Of course as someone has mentioned if there are live wires hanging out of the ceiling than he can go nuts.

This forum is a tremendous tool for all of us.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard