ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Originally Posted by JCooper
The worst one I saw was a homeowner who said as we were walking up "I don't think you can help me", opened his Bilco doors and water was coming out, he had about 7' of water in the basement. The other bad ones had about 3'.

I believe you could've helped him JCooper. If you had enough sections of 4" hard suction hose, you probably could have pumped water out of people's basements with your deptartments fire truck. grin

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

L
Seriously, this is a terrible ordeal for all involved. I hope everyone affected can dry out asap, and recover.

Luke Clarke

E
Luke, I believe our FD does or did do exactly that.
-Will

S
I saw the picture of route 18 underwater on the cover of the Ledger before. Holy... that definitely didn't happen after Floyd!

W
I liked the ones who were in a panic over an inch or two. As we were walking into houses we were asking people how many feet of water they had, anything under a foot, call a plumber in the morning,

I had about an inch in my basement. No real damage to anything, just some soaked cardboard boxes. I had a small water pump and a wet/dry vac, and the sump pump was working overtime. I didn't even think to call the fire dept for this. Only reason I even had water was that the power wnt down for 3 hours, and the sump pump couldn't work. Turns out my local substation flooded...

Last edited by wa2ise; 04/18/07 03:25 PM.
J
My department didn't do any pumping, another department in our district has four portable pumps, each one moves about 120 gpm, there were some houses where they set up two and it took two hours to pump them out. We were trying to figure out how to hook some hard suction up to our brush truck, that moves around 200gpm. If we could get enough hard suction, and get a prime going, and hooked up to our engine we would be moving 1500gpm, dry in no time!

Just be careful you don't shred the crap out of your truck when debris passes through the pump.

L
Originally Posted by noderaser
Just be careful you don't shred the crap out of your truck when debris passes through the pump.

No worries there, hard suction hose comes with strainer/float devices to circumvent those type of anomalies from happening. wink

Luke Clarke

A
It isn't the pump you have to worry about, it is the basement. We had several basements collapse when being pumped because the water pressure in the ground was greater than the strength of the basement walls.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
J
Another department had that problem, one basement only had a few inches of water, but a four foot section collapsed due to the outside water pressure.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard