ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#162100 04/13/07 04:58 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Now guys,
before you read what I have to say, take this into account:
Depression is NOT a bad week or a bad "spell" you are going through.
Real depression is when it lasts for years.

To a degree this area concentrates on the Safety aspect of Health and Safety Discussion, I would like to throw a spanner in that works and say look at the Health issues.

OK having said that, there is a certain stigma around in society, about those that take pills for depression, the movies are to blame for people actively popping tranquilisers, in large amounts.
Sure we may be a medicated society, but these pills do help.

I've been on Prozac for the last 18 years and are just getting off them, not an easy thing to do.
Before you start to call me a druggy, realise that all Prozac does is enables serotonin to be released inside the brain, these are the receptors that enable electrical signals to pass through the synapses of the brain cells.
In a depressed person that does not happen.
Now,
the effects of that can be widely ranging, from a person that has no get up and go, to a person that just want's to kill themselves.
I've heard it before (and can agree with it)
Depression is like a Black Cloud that always rains on you, it never goes away until you do something about it.
One thing about Mental Health though:
Know me before you judge me

I'd like discussion on this issue.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Trumpy #162102 04/13/07 05:11 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
One other thing about depression, is that it is self-inflicted, you can blame no-one else for it but yourself.

Trumpy #162118 04/13/07 10:15 AM
S
I am impressed that you can admit to it. Just goes to show that this forum is full of good people that you feel you can trust.

I do disagree with your last statement in some cases. Though any depression that I have felt has been the result of my own choices. My friend's depression is a result of genetics. I can not get into all the details here, suffice it to say that many members of his extended family have the same condition and it has resulted in several of them taking their lives after years of fighting it and medications. It is sad and frightening to see. I this case, they become disconnected with themselves during the depression and don't even see it as themselves commiting the acts against themselves.

Besides genetic mistakes with serotonin, depression has many causes and I do not know them. I do know that some depressions result from choosing to go against your values, other-from traumatic experience either self or outside inflicted, and some from just simply not taking care of yourself like lack of exercise.

Like I said, I am no expert but I feel for all those who face this trial in their lives.

Shane

sabrown #162156 04/13/07 09:39 PM
G
I have some experience with this, 2 suicides in my immediate family. The trick is to find the things you do like in your life and enjoy them. Screw the rest, it is not important enough to kill yourself over. Once you make that decision the rest is just clawing yourself back up into the daylight.
Depression is contagious. Stay away from deprerssed people whenever possible and when you are with them try to bring them up. It is a good exercise for everyone. This life stuff is really pretty good if you just relax and concentrate on the fun part. Laugh at the bad part, that is certainly as effective as crying about it. When you can laugh and really mean it you are cured.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #162169 04/14/07 12:45 AM
Broom Pusher and

I do disagree with your last statement in some cases. Though any depression that I have felt has been the result of my own choices. My friend's depression is a result of genetics.

Agree 100%

Chemical Imbalance, Manic Depression, Schizophrenia and similar Psych disorders are genetic - inherited through Geneaologic, rather than Sociologic methods.

All require some type of Psycotrophic (sp???) meds regiment, in order for the affected person to control the disorder.

My Family has these traits on both sides, so I am trying to learn as much as possible to both understand / acknowledge it in myself + others, and to know the best ways possible to assist the person(s) affected.

It's very sad! the most successful way to keep it in control is through meds.
Without the continued regiment, they slip.

Saddest things to see is one of my Friends or Family Members (with an affliction) go through a Bipolar Cycle.

I just let them talk as much as they want to - even if I have to stay up for 2 days. This seems to be beneficial, as they have a much lower "Down Time", and more coherent "Up Times" - if they do not take their meds.

If anyone has links for related information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Scott.

p.s. - Mike (Trumpy);
Feel free to E-mail me if you want to.
You are taking the right approach in conquering the Depression, by discussing things with others.
Keep up the great work!

Oh, and BTW - I do not think of any Person, whom uses meds for treatment, as "Druggies" - I only think of them as "Winners".

My Wife's Father-In-Law is on a daily regiment, which includes Lithium Dioxide - to control Manic Depression and Chemical issues (inherited).
He has the most difficulty with this problem, as the meds make him feel like a zombie (un motivated and difficult to think), but able to "Interact" with people.
Without the meds, he has "some" motivation, "somewhat" clearer thoughts - but the Depression runs rampant.

He has attempted suicide, luckily my Wife's Mother caught it before it was too late.

This is what makes me cry for these people - they feel so unworthy.
The fact that they take any and all ways to remain in life (commingle with others) makes them winners to me.

I want to assist as much as possible - only I want to help _THEM_, not boost my ego! (or be an armchair Psychologist / Talk Show host!).

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35 #162193 04/14/07 01:43 PM
M
I dont think real depression is ever soley a result of one's choices. It is a chemical imbalance. One's choices are affected by their depression, though. My wife suffered from "severe clinical depression with bipolar tendencies" and it changed the person she was seemingly overnight. A really hard thing for the family of someone suffering from depression is to not take their behaviour personally. Even after she was diagnosed and we learned about her illness, my biggest challange was remembering that she was sick, and her actions and choices were a result of this. Finding the right medication or combination of medications was a frustrating process, but once she had the right meds, it was the difference between night and day. Therapy was a huge help for all of as well. Everyone in the family is affected by a loved one's depression.After a couple of years, she was able to stop taking the meds, and is living a happy, well adjusted life. A chemical imbalance is nothing to be ashamed of, its a medical condition. Different meds work for different people, and some people will take them for the rest of their lives. No shame in that.

Trumpy #162204 04/14/07 03:12 PM
Cat Servant
I remember one time when I had a car that misbehaved. All sorts of folks immediately knew what the problem was, and were sure they could fix it - without ever having seen the car!
The fact that I KNEW the cause of the problem, and that there was no "fix' readily available, did nothing to dim the optimism of these folks - even after I explained things to them!

We see a lot of that in "medicine." Not just from the pop press and readers of supermarket tabloids; many a 'professional' has become lazy, making guesses and parroting 'one size fits all' remedies.

My long time GF had some "mental issues." Only at the very end of her life did we learn that she really had demons within ... in the form of a particularly nasty cancer that had invaded her brain. Something of a send-up to all the "professionals" who had diagnosed things like 'mental illness,' 'Yuppie flu,' 'Acid reflux,' and every other easy guess. All the time, there really was something wrong. Imagine that.

The point of all this is that I'm not about to second guess another's illness. Sure, things like Prozac have been mis-used by the medical community .... and there are plenty of folks with imaginary illnesses, but there's an amazing amount about our bodies that is simply not known.

I agree 100% that things like attitude and morale have a major impact on safety. The very things that make us happy ... friends, family, trust, stability ... are constantly under assault by self-appointed fear mongers and petty dictators. If it's not 'global warming,' it's someone telling you you're not eating right.

The miracle is that so few of us are depressed .... rather than so many!

Link Copied to Clipboard