ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 452 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Split bolts or Line taps are electrically superior than any piercing type of connectors. Because they clamp both conductors together and have a large surface area.
We put almalgamating tape around them, several layers, and ensure that sharp edges don't penetrate the rubber tape, then put an other couple of layers of insulating tape over them as well.

The IPC's or Insulated Piercing Conductors are mostly used these days as required by the POCO's.
These are quick to fasten and have a torqued screw which breaks off when the tightness is correct.
The surface area is only a couple of little spikes which are driven into the conductors.
Time will tell how long they last.

It is important that IPC's are applied with no load on the circuit, because an arc may cause the spikes not to "puncture" the conductor properly.

Edited for typo's RF.

Last edited by RODALCO; 04/14/07 06:53 AM.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
E
e57 Offline
Although most would concentrate on the tape on a 'Kerney' (Split Bolt), the most important part is the bolt itself.

First you need to use the right bolt for the application. Bronze or CU/AL. And use the right size bolt for the conductors, or tap conductors. Then of course the most important part, a clean and tight connection. The conductors need to be clean bright copper or aluminum, then compressed in the bolt using two wrenches until voids between conductors are reduced as much as possible if a tap is used. Some have specific torque marked on them, or available from the manufacturer. See link below:
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/literature_library/pdfs4lib/Anderson/AE-2017.pdf

Then tape as nessesary...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
J
I like the Polaris connectors but was taught the union method. BTW friction tape is still availavle, I bought a few rools for a pole line project. This one will be built "old school".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard