ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#162024 04/12/07 12:03 AM
R
RobbieD Offline OP
I know that if you are using stranded conductors with more then 7 strands you must bunch tin them or use a proper compression clamp. My question is WRT the wires in the Fire Alarm devices.

Say for example a listed device such as a supervised sprinkler valve. Inside the listed device is a micro switch with stranded copper conductors. Must these also be tinned even though it is a listed device or does that just apply to the condustors that we are bringing to the device?

I know that it would make sense to tin them but if it is required then why don't the manufacturers do it?

Just wondering if i have to get the soldering iron out to tin the conductors that are part of the listed assembly. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

J
What I usually use is the crimp on wire caps if I am bringing stranded wire to the device, this covers the rule, I believe, since all wires are covered under an appropriate crimped connector. I also find stranded wires from the factory come tinned, unless you cut the wire and loose the tinned end.

R
RobbieD Offline OP
Still asking the question.
These wires were not cut, that is the way they came with the valve.

C
I always tin any stranded conductors and usually even go so far as to solder the stranded to the solid before putting on a wire nut. It does take a few more minutes to do, but I know the connection will not likely provide an opportunity for future corrosion and problems with intermittent troubles down the road.

L
Originally Posted by Check Pilot
I always tin any stranded conductors

One thing to watch out for when tinning stranded conductors, using them under a compression style connector can result in the failure of the connection. The soldered bundle of wire strands may fracture and break apart under compression, resulting in a loose connection.

I use the soft copper ferrules when terminating small stranded wires (16-24 AWG) in control panels for industrial applications.

T
twh Offline
If you solder the wires together, in the device, how do you separate the wires during the verification process?

Link Copied to Clipboard