ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 307 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
To avoid further thread jacking I decided to open an own thread about my "generator from scrap parts" project.

I did a lot of online research about AC generation and got at least some results...

According to what I remember from school I need a synchronous generator if I want to run anything but purely resistive loads.

Since the frequency depends on the rotation I need a fairly precise speed control on the motor.

To control the voltage I need a regulator for the excitation. I know a guy who built his own mechanic regulator so I might be able to get some help on that.

Is anyone here familiar with the workings of old small generator sets (1-2kVA range)? Those things already existed 50 years ago and I don't think they were built extremely complex since they were supposed to work in harsh environments.

I
Tex,
Here is a forum that may be of some use to you. These guys collect and repair every kind of generator that you can think of. From turn of the 20th century 32 volt sets all the way up to some megawatt sets made in just the last few years.
sparks and arcs

Last edited by IanR; 04/11/07 09:48 AM.
I
Here is another site about the electrical side of things. Basic fundamentals but still useful to know Generator and motor fundamentals

Last edited by IanR; 04/11/07 09:53 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard