ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161807 04/07/07 11:01 PM
E
Ewire88 Offline OP
I bought a truck toolbox from Lowe's and I locked it and one side locked and the other side didn't and I made sure the lid latched but the other side can be be opened and it is not secure because I keep about 600$ worth of tools in there! I have already taken one back because of this problem! Has anyone had this toolbox and/or this problem?

Here is the toolbox:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...tId=209694-76354-73011279&lpage=none

Aaron
B
Those type of tool boxes are low security, too easy to break in to. If you are serious about your tools get a Knaak or a Greenlee strongbox. Bolt it to the floor or to the back of the bed. The hinge is the weakest link, but if you bolt it up tight to the bed they can't get to the hinge too easy.

Of course, depending on where you live, they might just take the whole truck.

I've got a similar box.

After adjusting the latches so that they would latch tight and reliably, I mounted small flashing LED under the latch handle, a key switch (round key) on the side, and a small battery inside to power it.

Not much in the way of security, but the safest box is the one that a thief doesn't try to open. Neighbors have had break ins, but so far they've passed mine up.

(and it's lots cheaper than the $850 McWelco box I wish I could afford.)

J
my boss recently bought one for his truck he has the same problem from time to time out of it and it will fly open occationally while he is going down the road

B
I mounted small flashing LED under the latch handle, a key switch (round key) on the side, and a small battery inside to power it.

What A great idea!. I think I am going to steal that idea from you and do mine the same.

E
Ewire88 Offline OP
It is a design flaw. When you open one handle there is a bar that engages to open the other latch so you don't have to get up in the truck to open both handles at the same time and the bar is factory bent so it stays out of the way and that is where the flaw is. The bent bar flexes when you try to open it when locked and the only solution I can come up with is to replace the bar with a straight bar and I am not to worried about it being in the way. I will see if I can post pictures of it.

Aaron
E
Ewire88 Offline OP
Originally Posted by BigB
Those type of tool boxes are low security, too easy to break in to. If you are serious about your tools get a Knaak or a Greenlee strongbox. Bolt it to the floor or to the back of the bed. The hinge is the weakest link, but if you bolt it up tight to the bed they can't get to the hinge too easy.

Of course, depending on where you live, they might just take the whole truck.

I live in a pretty good area and is there such a thing as toolbox alarms?

Last edited by Ewire88; 04/08/07 05:12 PM.

Aaron
E
Ewire88 Offline OP
Originally Posted by Ewire88
It is a design flaw. When you open one handle there is a bar that engages to open the other latch so you don't have to get up in the truck to open both handles at the same time and the bar is factory bent so it stays out of the way and that is where the flaw is. The bent bar flexes when you try to open it when locked and the only solution I can come up with is to replace the bar with a straight bar and I am not to worried about it being in the way. I will see if I can post pictures of it.

My repair plan failed and I am returning the box and I guess they are complete junk.

Aaron
J
I bought the generic over the rail tool boxes for my pickup and I put the brackets for hockey puck locks on them. They don't freeze in the winter, provided you point the keyway down, and just the look of them keeps people away.

E
e57 Offline
At the back doors of my van I have a Knaak box turned on its side. In order to open it you have to open the back doors via power door locks on the alarm. Then open the doors, then unlock both sides and what would be the top of the box opens like a shelf towards you. The unlocking/locking and key mechanisms are removed from the van doors, so you must not just disable the alarm, but use it to unlock the doors to even get access to the tool box, and then unlock it and open the van doors to do so. So if you didn't remember to lock the box, the alarm auto re-locks the doors after a few seconds, and re-arms the alarm.

I have had the back windows broken out several times last year during a 6 month crime spree on contractors in my nieghborhood - never lost a single tool. Because they cant open the doors and cant open the box, then have me coming at them. Then I had the doors replaced and now they have no glass to break... Windows on a Savana are $450 to replace, Replacing the doors with no glass cost less...

A second alarm has a kill switch to the engine, and GPS tracking available.

There are 3 cameras that cover the van from different angles, and 2-300w halogen floods at the eaves of the house that insure a good color picture and light it like a gymnasium. I sleep a lot better these days......

JCooper, I think the Hockey Pucks are great, thinking of getting some solely to complete the 'look'....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard