ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I am an Electrical Inspector.
I to a degree don't care who does the work as long as the person in charge on the work site can demonstrate to me that the work has been done in a compliant manner and that that is backed up by test results and/or photo's of the installed work.
If they want to employ clowns, that is on their head, not mine, after all they are certifying their work.
All I do is make sure that no-one will get injured or killed by any dodgy work and that that work is of a certain minimum standard.
Just my 2c worth.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
I
ITO Offline
I should post pics or what our local clowns get away with that the inspector never seems to catch.

101° Rx = + /_\
Originally Posted by ITO
I should post pics or what our local clowns get away with that the inspector never seems to catch.

Be my guest, there is a whole area for that.
You can send your pics to me if you like.
Send them to: mtrump@orcon.net.nz
They will need to be posted in the Violations Area.

I
ITO Offline
Yeah I saw the area, but I am sure we have all seen the stuff people do.

I just get frustrated competing with some shops that run whole crews of unlicensed labor, that seem to get away with murder while I feel like I am held to a higher standard.

101° Rx = + /_\
T
Originally Posted by ITO
Yeah I saw the area, but I am sure we have all seen the stuff people do.

I just get frustrated competing with some shops that run whole crews of unlicensed labor, that seem to get away with murder while I feel like I am held to a higher standard.

Thats what I'm saying. We have electrical companies dying over here in MI. The guys following the rules are taking huge hits. I'm sure everyone is... but level the playing field, enforce the rules, make sure these guys are regustered and have someone licensed.

The inspectors might not care about the legit companies... but good legit comanies are going under or barley getting by. I wish inspectors would re evaluate thier position on this.. they have no problem enforcing other rules.

Shake n Bake
I
ITO Offline
Last summer I made a deal to do the finish-out about 40,000 sf of shell spaces at a new retail shopping center. The shell contractor was more or less a joke, the lights in the soffit were run with romex, he used N-1 load centers for the outside house panels, the transformers for the space had floating grounds, the list goes on, but I took the job knowing all of it had to be fixed and was part of the deal.

When we get our final inspection the inspector red tags me because I have one 4-square box with (4) MCs terminated in it, which is against our local ordinances to have more than (3) terminating in a box. The GC was mad at me, threats of liquidated damages were flying, and I was a bit peeved too. So I called my inspector and asked him why he was being so picky with me when he finaled the shell contract with such blatant code violations. He said you have been in business long enough to know better and we expect you to do it right. He basically told me I am being held to higher standard.

101° Rx = + /_\
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard