ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 104 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gfretwell #161514 04/03/07 07:01 PM
J
I'm sorry folks but you must be dealing with those new fangled ground rods that are TDR friendly. I always used those old copper ones that get buried in the ground most of the way. Those new, TDR friendly ones have consistant electrical insulation all the way down the length to the bare end where the electrical pulse hits the change of impedance and some gets reflected back.

TDRs are wonderful things but you can't use them for everything. But let's say you could. We still would have to set the velocity of propagation dial to match the cable. I'm used to 66% for polyethlene <sp?> and 78% for cellular PE or foam. The VP for ground rod/dirt would vary widely over soil & moisture conditions. So if you could get a reading, the margin of error could easily be > the length of a gtound rod.
OTDRs are a joy to play with. ETDRs with coax are still OK. ETDRs with non-paired cables, GOOD LUCK! If you're trying to do a SWAG over which manhole , 100's of feet apart, Maybe.
This is just the collision of my optimism and personal experience.
Joe

G
ETDRs with non-paired cables, GOOD LUCK! If you're trying to do a SWAG over which manhole , 100's of feet apart, Maybe.

That's why I like to introduce a fault at a known location. Then you can extrapolate from there to your unknown fault.
Say, you suspect the fault is around manhole 5, go into 4 and short the pair. See what that computes to.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by SolarPowered
A TDR should work just fine for this purpose. You're just launching a wave into the rod, and then measuring the reflections.

In therory yes - it would, but I have not seen a product yet that would. You could measure the VOP (Velocity of Propogation) of a rod of known length, and that known length is compared to find the length of rod you have. I have used mine for finding shorts and opens to +/- 2' over 100' and it has been pretty accurate. But most of th e TDR units out there need two parrelel conductors to operate - otherwise they get very wierd readings, as most were made for cable fault finding, and also measure impedance changes. (Thats why I mentioned that with a refferance rod - it might be possible) Not to mention varying soil conditions etc....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
e57 #161614 04/05/07 07:50 AM
Tom Offline OP
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to leave this in the urban legend catagory unless someone with a TDR actually goes out & does some measurements on a ground rod and posts some data. I seriously doubt an inspector would own such an expensive piece of equipment. The POCO might have one and maybe someone was showing it off, but I have my doubts.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard