ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Here, for general discussion, are pics I've taken around town.

The first was an interesting technical challenge. First, the town has a new inspector, so I had to install the meter on the right at HIS heigth. There was also a 17% power factor phase angle to correct; please note the careful bend in the pipe as it leaves the box, to offset this phase angle:

[Linked Image]

The next challenge was that the engineer wanted the service "grounded." So, I laid the pipe on the ground. Can't get more grounded than that!

[Linked Image]

Finally, converting the lighting can be a challenge, when the customer adds a dropped ceiling ... unless you have the proper pigtail:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hackelect; 04/01/07 03:33 PM.
why does it have to be at his height? is he also the meter reader?
looks like there have been several inspectors out there

BTW newbie, if you look at the bottom of the page you will find there are three folders for photos. so this will most likely get moved to one of them soon......:)

and since I haven't said so..

.Hello, glad to see you made it

Tom
I
Originally Posted by togol
BTW newbie, if you look at the bottom of the page you will find there are three folders for photos. so this will most likely get moved to one of them soon......:)

Yes it will be moved. cool

Welcome to the Forum. smile

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
whew, that was fast. :cool

Tom
S
Uh.... isn't a phase angle problem a problem for the POCO?

Cat Servant
Something tell me that this thread is inspired by the date .. April 1 ... and that the real story behind these pics has nothing to do with the heigth of the inspector laugh

Height must be spelled heigth in Reno.....
You're busted again this year! laugh

April Fools!!

P
Did the new inspector also require all new meters to be protected by two old Fords? laugh

H
OK, it's now April 2nd, and time to 'come clean' laugh .

The top two pics are from the same job. Over the years, a "developer' of an "industrial park" kept adding units to his metal shed building ... hence the need to add meters. Two units became three, then four, with #5 being the meter on the right.

Of course, by then all the gas piping was in the way. That the gas piping was a mess should have been a warning ... but there were no junk cars lined up, so the sparky had no idea what was going to happen. A reasonably straight run of pipe mas hung, and all was happy.

Along came the manic tow truck, and the conduits got ripped right off the wall - then left to lay in the dirt. frown

Now, for the last pic .... this is from a real service call ... "the light doesn't work." Removing the fixture revealed that an adapter was used to plug the fixture into a keyless light. At least one source has told me that this type of adapter - an Edison base with two wires coming out - has not been made since the 20's.
Oh ... the problem? When they installed the fixture, they forgot to pull the chain on the keyless laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard