ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by mahlere
It shouldn't take 4 hrs to wire 3 ballasts 8' off the ground.

Pick up three ballasts from shop drive to job 1 hour...
Park, load cart, ladder, and bicker with some security guard who is on a power trip and won't allow you in the building - 1 hour...
Break time.... grin
Repeat step two...
Do the actual work - while dodging irriate over-wieght women who think you are invading thier work place and need to manage you every move - and call a meeting to let you shut off the lights for 5 minitues on a bright sunny day next to a window - if for nothing else - COMPLETE BORDOM!
Lunch time....
Clean up and pack out...
4-5 hours.... If you clear access and other crap out of the way 15 - 20 minutes if you have the ballasts at the job and sparky at the door.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Maintenance/repair is a 'tough' call; best on a T&M basis. We all have had 'no lights/no power' calls; some are flip the breaker, some are disasters

Experience.

John

John
I
ITO Offline
Good service electricians are hard to find. Its not enough that they have trouble shooting skill sets but they also have to have the right demeanor, and the right amount of drive.

101° Rx = + /_\
M
Originally Posted by e57
Originally Posted by mahlere
It shouldn't take 4 hrs to wire 3 ballasts 8' off the ground.

Pick up three ballasts from shop drive to job 1 hour...
Park, load cart, ladder, and bicker with some security guard who is on a power trip and won't allow you in the building - 1 hour...
Break time.... grin
Repeat step two...
Do the actual work - while dodging irriate over-wieght women who think you are invading thier work place and need to manage you every move - and call a meeting to let you shut off the lights for 5 minitues on a bright sunny day next to a window - if for nothing else - COMPLETE BORDOM!
Lunch time....
Clean up and pack out...
4-5 hours.... If you clear access and other crap out of the way 15 - 20 minutes if you have the ballasts at the job and sparky at the door.

for the sake of argument (and the actual case cited) Strip Mall..exterior soffit...complete open access...exterior time clock...no access restrictions at all...ballasts and lamps on the truck...3 ballasts 3.5 hrs...

Last edited by mahlere; 04/04/07 10:04 AM.
G
Mark, do you work for GSA? That was what they told the guy who wanted his computer room wired, except they had an extra hour or two a day for paperwork.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline
GSA? No.... Medical and some office med/high rises - some are worse than banks and airports to get into. Even some of the resi I do, need signed authorization from unit owners and building management to just look at the job, and arrange elevator access/appointments +/or loading dock appointment. In a few buildings you need to be accompanied at all times.... RPITA!

Last edited by e57; 04/04/07 07:56 PM.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
This to clear up any misunderstanding that my post on the previous page was not directed at ITO...sorry for any misunderstanding.

S
You rattled off the wire colors for various voltages, but never start working on anything till you have verified with your meters what the voltages are in reality. You do not know who worked on equipment before you and often times hack maintainence
men wire equipment to get it running. I have seen 12/3 nm power more than few compressors

Originally Posted by Trumpy
You guys don't get out enough.
PLC's are industry these days.
I hope you guys aren't looking to change jobs soon.
I wouldn't employ you. shocked

My apologies to anyone that read this, I am Damned sure that I did not write this, with the lack of an IP address search I can't prove it.
If I did write it I whole-heartedly apologise for writing such rubbish, although I would have been at work at the time.

S
Thanks for all the great replies!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard