ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
U
uksparx Offline OP
Has anyone experience of FE panels and Stab-Lok breakers in the UK? I have recently encountered several of these and wondered if we have the same worries with these as in the US and Canada. What made me think about this was one panel in particular, it had two 30 Amp breakers which would no longer carry anywhere near 30 Amps without tripping. Although I believe the problem is with them NOT tripping?? Any help or advice would be great.
Dave

J
we had one installed in 1984 and it is still in service. The breakers are slightly different as far as I know and in ours, the stabs are quite secure. I did look into it and there was no information about UK stabloc faliures. I might even have a few spare breakers around somewhere.

I understand that these panels didnt have such faliure in Canada. It seems that the US ones were constructed to a lower standard.

We had a PIR done and they said it was fine.

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
Gidday Dave,
Sorry to twist this off-topic, but we have Federal electrical gear here in New Zealand.
Only as far as what you would call a Consumer Unit.
The MCB's are Federal in brand only I think, because they look like any other generic brand of Circuit Breaker.
I've got a pic of a board here somewhere with the Federal breakers, DIN Rail mounting too.
Ahh, here it is:

[Linked Image]

U
uksparx Offline OP
Thanks for the replies, Johno - that helps to know it was apparently only US made ones that went bad. Trumpy - thanks for the pic, they do appear to be "standard" DIN rail ones you have. The ones I was concerned about are exactly like the US ones with the StabLok connection, hopefully we got them made in a factory with better quality control. I'll try and get some pics next time I'm on that job.
Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard