ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
Does anyone have any experience with wireless intercoms for apartment door answering/unlock applications? I am thinking about this system:
http://www.cap-com.net

, but am looking for recommendations for a system that works reliably (Am always a bit leery of wireless stuff, but ripping the place apart to string new cabling is something I would rather avoid).

The only sticking point is that I have 8 apartment units, but 3 of them are 2 floors, and require an intercom station on each floor. The individual apartment units would need to be programmed to accomodate this. According to the manufacturer, the unit above should work fo this.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
The most reliable intercom for apartment use are the ones that go over the phone line. You bring a POTS line to the unit and program the numbers for the apartments, you can even get them where there is a list of tennants on a screen and they select a number. Most of them also have a form c relay output that is activated with a code over the phone. I have had good luck with Viking (http://www.vikingelectronics.com), Talk-a-phone (http://www.talkaphone.com), and Sentex (http://www.sentexsystems.com)

Sentex is one of the most widly used and they have a pretty diverse product line.

M
No wires = Batteries
That alone would be the deal breaker for me for this type of intercom system.

N
Units are NOT battery powered.

Each apartment unit is powered by a plug-in "wall wart" type transformer power pack, and the front door unit gets power (24VAC?) supplied over a single pair of wires. The door unit also hardwires to the electric door striker and a "door ajar" switch.

Only the COMMUNICATION between the units is handled without wires.

I was considering one of the telephone line units, but 2 of the tenants in the building don't have POTS service, relying on cellular phones and cable internet.

The original intercom wiring is in pretty sad shape, with a few buried junction boxes and other nasties. I shouldn't have a problem getting one good pair from the basement intercom panel area to the front door to use for power, but the rest of the wiring I would like to just abandon if possible.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 10-26-2006).]

G
Do they still make PLC intercoms that communicate across the power line? It is all on one service?
so a bridge should connect all apartments.

Greg Fretwell
P
Hi,

It’s just two months back that I shifted to my new house. I’m new to the city and I almost spend my daytime alone at home. We are sharing this apartment with another couple. So we have installed a wireless intercom home security system that enables me to check who is at the door. This system is equipped with speaker, camera and video display.The auto-snap option automatically takes a picture when the call button is pushed and the unit will automatically take a picture and save it in memory. I’m also able to see and speak to someone at my front door before I open it. Try this!

G
It looks interesting, but I steer away from any products that won't provide a price until AFTER you talk with a sales rep.

Ghost307
Hmmmmm.....

"Automated systems librarian"

Any connection with the product??

Welcome to ECN

John

Link Copied to Clipboard