ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#160209 07/11/05 08:34 PM
H
I just call it as I see it.

Like it or not there is a convergence of technology today and we all need to learn something of each other's jobs if we are going to be proficient in our own work. Unfortunately there is a certain resistance, even animosity by many audio, video and IT people for things like codes, licenses and learning workmanship and trade practices. Just because somebody is Microsoft certified or has access to equipment doesn’t mean that they are qualified to install it and can thumb their nose at code requirements.

If there is anything I’m old school about it’s insisting on doing a job professionally. If you don’t want to take the time to learn the ropes you shouldn’t be doing the job.

-Hal

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#160210 07/11/05 09:41 PM
Cat Servant
Hello, Datadude...I don't think you and I have conversed before.

I am an EC, and I also, on occasion, do VDV work. I have one of the braodest licenses in my state. That said, I freely admit that VDV is one of my weakest areas, and I quite often end up working only the "power" part of a job.

My purpose in posting this pic- and others like it- is to get the feedback from VDV guys. I really want to know if these practices- which seem so strange to me, but seem common in the VDV field, really up to the "current standard of the trade," or if the contractor whose work is pictured is cutting corners.

I've seen VDV guys being shown how to use a toner on Friday, then present themselves as experts the following Wednesday. I does seem that there is a lack of structured training (such as an apprenticeship). Maybe I'm wrong.

Visit a few of our other forums, and you'll see that we post plenty of pics ourselves of "hack" electrical work.
What I'd really like to see, though, is a pic to post in this thread of such an install done correctly.

#160211 07/12/05 04:26 AM
D
Your damn right I take it personaly. We go out of our way to train our techicians in the proper tecniques and workmanship of the trade. I have a LV restricted Masters license, so we pull our own permits, or work under the EC's. All of our work is commercial, and is, and must be, inspected. Yes, I take it personal when LV guys are lumped together as one big group of computer geek carrot hackers. VDV is a trade unto itself and we take pride in our work. I'll put my company's work up against anybody's anyday.
That being said, to Hal, I apologize, my temper gets the best of me sometimes. I guess it's best for me just to stay off this board.
Bob

#160212 07/12/05 12:31 PM
G
I am trained in both directions with IBM/BICSI on the data side and IAEI/ICBO/SBCCI on the power side. I have to say there was very little common material in these trainings. The data side seems to ignore everything in the NEC below article 725 and then slices it at class 2, largely ignoring class 1 rules. In the power side they treat everything like it was DC circuits. (certainly nothing higher than 400hz).
I have lived on both sides of the wizzing match so I understand the problems. As the codes start to catch up with low voltage I think we will start to see wiring practices becoming a little more uniform but we will always be stuck with the reality that power wiring is regulated to stop fires and electrocution where data wiring is basically addressing data integrity alone. Inspectors are usually only concerned with spread of fire and smoke issues when they look at data.
Compared to data, a doorbell is a high power, high current application.

Greg Fretwell
#160213 07/12/05 08:11 PM
H
We go out of our way to train our techicians in the proper tecniques and workmanship of the trade. I have a LV restricted Masters license, so we pull our own permits, or work under the EC's. All of our work is commercial, and is, and must be, inspected. Yes, I take it personal when LV guys are lumped together as one big group of computer geek carrot hackers.

Well then what the heck were you complaining about? There are plenty of guys here who are telecom/data contractors, myself included and I like to think we do things right as you do.

It's the "computer geek carrot hackers" that get us p***ed off not legitimate contractors.

-Hal

#160214 07/12/05 08:11 PM
E
e57 Offline
NA Datadude, no need to go anywhere. I'm sure I can speak for the rest of us on this point, we need more people who take pride in thier work, and enjoy having them on these forums. We often openly welcome and ecourage people when we see that 'New Member' moniker. I think we all took a jump at you for the rather person jab at Hal. As for the most part, we try to keep it clean and stick to the biz, of the post. Not saying that things don't get heated in debate on occassion. We just try, or attempt to keep it in lighter language than, "Shut Up".

So anyway, stick around, and a belated welcome to the forum.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#160215 07/12/05 08:16 PM
E
e57 Offline
Hi Hal....

Oh anyway, today, I got to use my usual line again.

"that the 'box and cover must support the wieght of a 350Lbs woman standing on the heel of a single high heeled shoe"

GC almost fell over. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#160216 07/12/05 10:27 PM
P
Never mind the floor box...where can I buy a pair of these titanium high heels?

#160217 07/13/05 12:14 AM
G
Do you need them in steel toe for work?

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard