ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#160040 05/04/05 11:36 AM
W
I am an EC and looking to getting into the structured wiring/whole house audio/home theater market. I have taken the Leviton training and have experience terminating CatV and fiber when I worked as a union hand at Los Alamos Labs. That was several years ago but other than changes in fiber terminations, I know I can handle the rest. My questions are these: What other training should I look for? What is the going rate for the differnt type of installs, i.e. per CatV drop, coax drop, speaker run, panel install, module installs, etc. I live in North Texas so I am sure the rates are different for those of you in the north and east, but I have no idea what a fair price would be. I am still working at learning all the terminology so I can be comfortable with it when I talk to my future customers, I understand what it means and all but just am not "fluent". I have a couple of customers ready for me to do the work, but I don't know how to price it? Any advice? I still do my electrical contracting and will try to do the whole house, electrical and low voltage if possible. So for you experienced VDV people out there, I am listening. All advice/recommendations/cautions/etc. is welcome. Oh yea I am a one man shop and don't have a crew to train or help me.
Thanks in advance!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#160041 05/04/05 01:12 PM
H
Well first off I don't think there are many (or any) guys here as ECs do whole house audio and especially home theater stuff. This is a specialized area and a trade of it's own. Also, if you are going to be good at it you need to specialize in it and nothing else.

From what you are saying it sounds like you really need to get some experience actually doing this kind of work before taking on responsibilities yourself and selling yourself as competent to a customer. I would suggest something like subbing yourself out to an established residential A/V contractor so you can learn the ropes first.

We all do CATV and network wiring though and you shouldn't have a problem with that. Any questions just ask. Perhaps someone from your area can help with pricing.

-Hal

Link Copied to Clipboard